Chapter Twelve: Snapping Point

"Do you think it's possible that Grayson's dimension has my parents?" I ask, not releasing my hold.

I refuse to let him go without knowing more. The main thing on my mind is the impending doom of our galaxy and theirs. Can anything fix what's already unraveled? Is there something I can do to help? Will my parents be alive when they are found? So much can happen in a year, if they were captured I don't I will find the same people that raised me. 

Maximus sighs, "I do, but that's one of many. If there were any survivors from the destroyed dimensions, they would have more than enough cause for revenge. Finding your parents in general will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. One thing I know for sure, they are not on earth."

I pause for a moment, to figure out my next step, or at least how to ask for it.

"I'm not letting you look for them in that place, it's dangerous Kai. I was almost killed within the first few moments of stepping through. They will not welcome anyone that does not belong there. Aside from all of that, you have never been there. It's a big place, getting lost is easy, and deadly." Maximus declares, jerking his arm from my grasp and taking a step out the door.

"If you let Grayson live, he could be my guide!" I call after him.

He whirls around, narrowing his eyes, "Did you not hear a word of what I said? He's due to snap the moment he remembers what he is! I refuse to send you into a strange and dangerous world with a ticking time bomb."

My head cocks to the side, "What he is? What's that supposed to mean?"

Before the door closes I see a blur of a figure rush towards Maximus, impacting with him as it closes. "Maximus! Max! Max!" I cry pounding on the door.

My heart pounds like it is about to burst from my chest. Someone attacked him, and there is nothing I can do.

"Computer! Open the door! Open the door!" I scream, putting my fingers in the cracks, trying to pry it open to no avail.

"Access denied girl on timeout. Go sit and think about what you've done, girl on timeout."

"Shut up dammit! Maximus is in trouble, is there no override to this system for special circumstances? He needs help." I shout at the system, hoping that for some reason a computer program would be capable of human understanding.

"Watch your mouth, girl on timeout. You are safe in the safe room."

"Aaaaaaaaaaah!" I cry kicking the door until my toes go numb.

It does not budge, standing just as strong as it did before I laid a finger on it. There's nothing I can do but wait, with the hope that he will somehow be okay. What if whoever attacked him comes after me? I have no where to go. I'm trapped in here, like a caged animal waiting for the slaughter. Unless....

Going towards the side of the room where we entered from, I look for the loose panel that would've had to move for us to fall into here. In the dim light, it's difficult to find the lines, but I manage to spot them.

Now, how do I get up there? I stand on my tip toes, not even getting within inches of it. The unfurnished room stares back at me mockingly. The chest. I can use it to stand on.

I run over to it, getting a firm grip on its sides to drag it. Despite trying my hardest, it does not budge. I walk around to the other side, deciding that maybe pushing will be easier. I lock my arms into position, my feet slip on the floor as if I'm running in place. With a growl of frustration, I turn around, pressing my back against it, using all of my strength to push the hardest I can.