Chapter Nine: In The Name Of Science

Nineteen Years Ago

"Ow! Vidya, what the hell are you doing?" I ask, picking up the rock that impacted with my spine.

"Only making the greatest discovery of all time. Still busy making the dog walking robot? Way to breed laziness," She scoffs, before reaching her hand around me to steal the wrench from my table.

"I was using that." I declare, attempting to take it from her grasp.

Vidya ducks and twirls about, hitting me in the face with her waist long, black braid. "My work is far more valuable, I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to forgive me."

Chuckling, I slide off of the spinning stool and follow after her. "And what exactly is this 'valuable' thing? Don't tell me, it's for throwing rocks at car windows. Or even better, it throws them so hard, it can dent tanks!"

With a roll of her eyes, she shoves my shoulder playfully. "Psh no, that's called the ultimate sling shot. We both know your dad was the one to make it magically disappear."

"For good reason. You not only gave someone a black eye, but you also shattered a custom windshield. Do you know how much that cost to repair?" I tease, plopping myself down on her work space.

She gasps, shoving me off the table, "Be careful Max! You could've broken it."

"Just like how you could have broken someone's skull with the ultimate sling shot?" I say with mock horror.

She huffs, "How was I supposed to know that someone was sleeping in the car? Normal people don't do that. Moving on to more important matters, what do you think?"

Vidya does a dramatic sweep, placing her hands besides her device as if she's advertising it for a video camera. "Ta da!"

With a click of my tongue, I walk forward, examining her creation. "Is that one of those light up make - up mirrors, but without a mirror?"

"No, this is one piece of a portal set. Want to have snacks for movie time, but not in the mood to stand after a long day? Call to someone in the kitchen, they don't even have to come to you, just gotta drop the snacks in one portal, and it will pop up in the other. Which would obviously need to be next to the couch, otherwise you'd still have to get up." Vidya explains, while holding a medium size rock above the glowing, mounted circle.

The circular frame of the portal device is no bigger than the size of two average fists put together. A light green hue that's nearly invisible glows in the center. I gaze at it in wonder, curious if what she claims could actually be true, or possible.

Portals are things of science fiction, but, most things written in such a story are based in some form of reality. There's a reason their futuristic placement has the capability of causing foreboding. Especially when it involves manipulation of the human psyche.

I shudder, refocusing my attention on the interesting concept in front of me. "Where's the second one?"

She giggles, her eyes hold a mischievous glint. "There's no fun in telling you."

She releases the rock from her grasp, dropping it into the portal. I gasp in awe, watching it slowly vanish, pulled in by tendrils of green vapor. "Where does it go when it disappears?"

"I don't know, but if your Father will grant me access to his professional lab, and more materials, I'd love to find out.... Maybe I could even get a paid internship? While I absolutely love cleaning human feces off the walls of store bathrooms, I eventually want to land a career in the science field. I'm taking as many classes as I can afford, but at this rate, I'll be fifty before I complete my education." Vidya says with a sad smile.