Chapter Four: Happy Hauntings

A pounding headache spreads across my head, while my eyes flutter reluctantly. "What happened?"

Everything comes rushing back. A boy, kissed me, Maximus wants me to kill him.... I shot off the gun. Oh my god, did I kill him? Am I a murderer!

I turn my head to the right, a shriek escapes involuntarily. He moved. Now, what's his name is laying next to me. Like Romeo in the scene when he dies. The fall and rise of his chest assure me, that my Romeo is still very much alive.

Wait, "My Romeo"? In what way is he mine? Let alone a lover!

Sometimes I wonder how long it will be till the hopeless romantic in me signs away my life to a handsome stranger.

He kissed me.

I touch my lips, remembering the odd tingling sensation.

Even if there is never to be an 'us', I have one hell of a story to tell about my first kiss. I don't think anything can beat a handsome stranger falling from another world to plant one on me.

My heart lurches when the phone blairs. The ear-splitting ring tone that caused the beginnings of my migraine. I reach in the bag, only to discover that it is no longer there. Where did it go?

I sit for a moment, in hopes that the direction of the noise will reveal the phones location.

Weird, it sounds as if it's next to me... But I don't see it.

My eyes drift over the still form of the boy to my right. The dried blood hidden slightly among his light brown curls makes me grimace. What happened to him? Did the blow he received on his head really make him forget a long length of time? Amnesia? Is it possible another head injury could reverse the effects? No, now I'm just being ridiculous.

A subtle glow on the opposite side of his body stole my attention, attracting my eyes to the phone ringing in his hand... Why does he have my phone?

I crawl around him slowly. Black dots trickle in and out of my vision, accompanied by an uncomfortable level of dizziness. That can't be a good sign.

My fingers grasp the phone, at last ending the obnoxious noise. "Hello?"

"Kai! Thank god. I've been calling nonstop for the past hour. I-I didn't know if the bastard killed you or... Did worse things." Maximus pauses, his voice cracks slightly.

"It's so good to hear your voice. I'm glad you're okay. Now. Did you find the gun? Use it immediately. Don't give the boy a chance to wake up and take off."

I blink, my mind slowly taking in his words. "Y-you really want me to k-kill him? I can't kill him. He didn't do anything wrong, he doesn't deserve it."

Maximus sighs, "This isn't the time for human decency. It is a matter of world-preservation. If you let him live, there will be dire consequences. Think about more than corrupting your morals Kai, his presence could bring world destruction. He is a danger to everything."

Biting my lip I glance at the boys still figure. Maximus seems to be talking nonsense from what I see. There's no way one injured dude could cause the end of the world. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Unless of course he has super powers... Super destructive powers that he is unaware of like a Mr.Hyde. What if his evil side wakes up and he kills me?

I squeak, putting distance between myself in the fellow.

"What's happening Kai? Are you hurt? Did the dead attack you!" Maximus cries, his voice panicked and raising in volume until it makes my ear ring.