Chapter 1

"Im in a field of dandelions
Wishing on every one
That you'd be mine"

Johnny's POV

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm happy to be alive.

The Windrixville situation opened my eyes. To a lot of things, actually.

Ever since I got out of the hospital, I've been living with the Curtis's. I share a room with Ponyboy, a bed too. My parents are I jail and I'm glad they are.

Now I see how precious life is. I still struggle sometimes, but I've realized that I have more to live for. There's a lot of good in this world.

And because of Ponyboy, I realize this.

That's the other thing. You see, I don't like girls. I'm gay. But that kind of thing isn't accepted around here. Gays get jumped, kicked out of their homes, sent to asylums, and even killed. So I can't tell anyone.

But it's driving me mad. I gotta tell somebody.

Back to my point. I don't like just any boy. I like my best friend, Ponyboy Curtis. Actually, I'm in love with him. I realized that in Windrixville. Just the two of us, alone in the church. We cuddled a lot, too. It was the best days of my life so far, despite the circumstances of us being up there. At least I got bailed out.

God, I love Pony so damn much. Everything about him. His beautiful eyes. He doesn't like them that much but I love them. I get lost in them. His hair. He dyed it back to brown, but no matter what color it is, its still soft when its not greased. I could run my fingers through it for hours. His lips, I bet they're soft and taste real sweet. His face, perfectly structured. I just wanna leave kisses all over it. His voice, I could listen to him read or recite poetry all day. His laugh, it sure is adorable. But that's only the outside. On the inside he's perfect too. He's not like the rest, he's soft and still shows his emotions. He'd do anything for me, so he says. His love for books and movies is something i find gold. He's gold, solid gold.

I'd never tell him that. I can't. I'm too scared. He doesn't like me anyways. He'd probably hate me if he knew.

"Hey, Johnny. Man, you look deep in thought." I look up and see none other than Dallas Winston. He's like my big brother, my hero, my idol.

I could tell him my secret, but I have no idea what he'd do. He's tough as nails. He probably has no patience for homosexuals.

"Yeah, I guess I am." I finally reply. I guess I even sound sad.

"What's up, kid? You know you can tell me anything, man." I wish I could.

"It ain't nothing, Dal." I hope he'll just drop it, but he merely shakes his head.

"Nah, man. Its something alright. You come with me, kid. We're walking over to the Dingo. You're gonna tell me what's up." I feel like I have to listen to him, so we get up and leave.

We walk down the block, and I'm hoping he won't bring it up again. Knowing Dally, he won't drop it so easily.

"So, you don't tell me, or not?" He playfully nudged me, but I couldn't smile. I was terrified.

"I would like too, but I'm scared of what you'd think." I was shaking at this point. I lit a cancer stick and used it to calm my nerves.

"Oh come on, man. It can't be that bad! Damn, I guess you don't trust me." I glared at him. I really don't wanna tell him. But it was Dally. We were like brothers.

I guess...I guess I could tell him. I need to tell someone anyways. If I don't tell someone, I'll explode. If Dally hates me for this, that sure would suck. Hopefully he won't beat me too bad.

"Alright fine, Dal. You win." He smirked his typical smirk and looked at me, waiting for me to say something.

"I-I...I don't-..." My voice broke and I stopped walking. I felt like I couldn't breathe. This couldn't happen again.

"Woah. Calm down. It's alright, man. Just tell me. I promise I won't get mad, whatever the hell it is." Dally never talked like this. He must've seen how nervous I was in this very second.

"I-I...I d-don't like g-girls Dal...I-I'm gay..." I held my arms above my head, trying to protect myself from the hit I knew was coming. But it never came.

It took a second for him to say anything, but he just slowly pushed my arms down. When I looked at him, I didn't see any look of hatred on his face.

"Johnny, come on man. I don't care that you're gay. I suspected it for a while now. I'm not gonna hurt you." He said as he hugged me. It was a quick hug. Dally didn't like hugs.

"T-thanks Dal." I sighed in relief. He didn't hate me. He wasn't going to hurt me. He accepted me. It was okay.

I finally told someone, and it looks like I made the right choice for once.

"I'm proud of you for telling me the truth, kid. Now come on, let's keep walking." He looked like he was deciding on whether to say something else.

We walked for a bit, before he glanced over at me. He stopped walking for a second, looking up at the sky.

"What's up, Dal?" I was getting scared again. What if he changed his mind? No, he wouldn't do that.

"Wanna know a secret, kid?" He looked at me and he looked serious. I just nodded. What was he hiding.

"I'm bisexual, man." My eyes widened in shocked. I never in a million years expected Dallas Winston to like guys. I thought he was a womanizer. Well, maybe he still was but, I didn't see it coming.

"That's not all." He paused for a second, and sighed, as if it were something he didn't wanna say.

"I kissed Darry."

I dropped my cigarette at that. Dallas Winston? Liking Darrel Curtis, oldest brother of my crush? What the actual hell? That's a match I never would've expected. I never thought Dally could like Darry. This day has been full of surprises.

"Haven't said a word to him since. I like him a whole lot, man. I think he's scared or something. Won't talk to me. Kinda sucks, but I'll figure something out." Maybe Darry was straight. I didn't say that out loud, though. I didn't want him to get bad.

But I don't know. Maybe Darry did feel the same. It was hard to tell. No one could read Darry.

"Wanna know another secret?" How many did he have?

"Sure." I lit another cigarette.

"Steve and Soda are dating. I caught them making out, man. You shoulda seen look on their faces when I started laughing. They begged me not to tell anyone, but nah." Dally smirked as my eyes widened once again.

"Anyone you've got a crush on?" Dally asked. I guess I'm gonna tell him my crush is Ponyboy Curtis.

"Yeah, man. On Ponyboy. I got it bad for him." His smirk just grew even wider.

"Called it." I guess it was obvious to him. Was it obvious to the others? Was it obvious to Ponyboy?

"He seems pretty gay to me, man. Just be careful who you tell. The gang might be accepting, but not everyone will. Now come on, let's head to the dingo."

"I see forever in your eyes
I feel okay when I see you smile
Wishing on dandelions all of the time
Praying to god that one day you'll be mine"