Chapter 12

"Stay, ah just a little bit longer,
Please, please, please, please, please,
Tell me that you're going to"

Johnny's POV

I was pissed beyond belief.

Ponyboy said he loved me, and I thought we were finally going to be happy together. We weren't official or anything, but we were close enough. And then I saw him kissing Cherry. What the hell? And the thing was, he called my name right before they did, as if he wanted me to see it.

If he didn't love me anymore...why tell me like that?

I was both sad and pissed at the same time. But I refused to cry in front of them. So pissed it was.

I walked over to them. I wanted to slap that smirk off of Cherry's face, but I'd never hit a girl and I don't like hurting people. I grabbed Ponyboy by his wrist and dragged him next to the wall where we could talk in private, ignoring his protests.

"Johnny! Stop draggin' me, man! Let me explain!" He got his wrist out of my grip easily. I ain't very strong.

"After everything we've been through, you're gonna do this! Really?" I hate how he always made me feel vulnerable.

"It's really not like that." He said. I wasn't gonna believe it.

"You kissed her! Why! Why would you do that to me? I thought we had somethin'! But you're just gonna throw it all away, ain't ya?" I looked into his eyes, I knew I could see what he was feeling. He looked angry. Almost as angry as I was.

"You know what, Johnny? You can just shut your trap! You did it to me at the dance!" Is he seriously bringing this back up? He knows why I did it. I know I hurt him, but I didn't mean too...

Besides, it was no excuse for him to do it now.

"Oh shut it! You know good damn well why I did it! I didn't want anyone to get hurt! But you? I don't know why you did it!" In response he punched the wall. I was scared now. What if he hit me?

"FUCK YOU. SHE FORCED ME TOO." His voice was rising. I didn't even bother to look around and see if anyone was watching. I didn't care.

"IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE IT FROM MY ANGLE. IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE MAKING THE KISS DEEPER!" I yelled back. Man, if anyone heard this then they would think we were fighting over a girl who cheated on one of us or something. That was not the case.

"YOU REALLY THINK ID DO THAT TO YOU? COME ON. ITS NOT LIKE YOU DID IT TO ME." He said the last part with sarcasm in his voice and made me even more pissed off.

"YOU KNOW WHAT? SCREW YOU. I TOLD YOU A MILLION FREAKIN' TIMES WHY I DID IT, I TOLD YA I DIDNT WANT TOO. I MADE SO MANY DAMN SACRIFICES FOR YOUR STUPID ASS. YEAH I HURT YA BUT I TOLD YA WHY AND I THOUGHT WE WAS PAST THAT, BUT I GUESS NOT." He looked at me with tears in his eyes and I felt bad. I couldn't take this. I need to leave.

"If you didn't want me no more you coulda told me, man. I woulda understood. You didn't have to go and do it like that." I said sadly. Stupid. I was letting him see he upset me. I was letting them all see.

"Screw you, man." I turned around to leave.

"Johnny-" I didn't stay to hear what he had to say. I was leaving.

"Hold up, kid." Two-Bit tried to grab my arm but I started running. I guess I was going to the Curtis house, I had no wear else to go. I ain't gonna take the bed. Man, I was looking forward to cuddling with Ponyboy tonight. I guess that ain't gonna happen.

I guess I'll sleep in the bathtub tonight.

Ponyboys POV

I slammed my back against the wall and started crying. Now I know how frustrated and lost Johnny felt when I wouldn't let him explain. I felt like shit.

"What was that all about?" Cherry asked in a fake innocent voice. I knew she heard everything, not just yelling like everyone else did. Her, Marcia, as Two we're close enough to hear it.

"What the fuck do you think?" I bitterly laughed. I didn't look at her. I didn't want to look at her.

"I'm just- I'm just really confused." I heard her say. I wanted to get up and scream at her, but I couldn't move.

"I'm in love with him. And thanks to you, I might've lost him for good this time. Why'd you have to go and kiss me? Wasn't it obvious I wasn't interested? Damn it." I was sobbing now. Dally always said I cried so much I could make my own water bottle company. I think he was right.

"You're gay? You could've told me." I couldn't hear disgust in her voice, but I just couldn't tell. I was too sad.

"I didn't know how you'd react. You know, maybe it's my fault for going with you. I'd rather be dehydrated then to be in this mess." I purposely banged my head on the wall a couple of times out of frustration. I'm sure that didn't help my common sense.

"Hey, kid! Calm down!" Two-Bit walked over and made me get up.

"We should take him home, hun." Marcia suggested. I didn't look at anyone.

"I'll see y'all later." Cherry said. I hope not. At least she didn't get mad or anything. Hopefully she wouldn't go running her mouth to all the other Socs.

I let Two lead me out of the drive in and into his rusty old truck.

"Marcia, how do you stand to ride in this thing?" Two joked, trying to lighten up the mood. I smiled a little. Marcia was probably used to fancy cars like Mustangs.

"The truck ain't the problem. It's the driver." She teased back. I leaned my head against the window. I had a huge, splitting headache. Banging my head against the wall probably wasn't the brightest idea.

How was Johnny going to forgive me now? I wished there was a way to prove that I didn't kiss back. Maybe me and Johnny just weren't meant to be. No, that's not it. I believe to my core that he is my soulmate. I just gotta get him back.

"I gotta get him back. Again." I said. Two gave me a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, kid. I bet ya anything that Johnny'll forgive you. The two of you were meant to be, you're stuck with him." Marcia nodded in agreement. I wouldn't mind being stuck with Johnny Cade for the rest of my life. I love that boy.

I'll get him back. I just gotta. And I hope we ain't gotta go through this ever again, fighting with him was tiring.

Once I got him back, I'd make sure we'd never fight again.

"Won't you place your sweet lips to mine,
Won't you say you love me all the time"