Chapter 3

"I'll bet she's beautiful
That girl he talks about
And she's got everything that I have to live without"

Johnny's POV

"Come on, man! You can do it!" Dally said as he dragged me by my arm to the lot. That's where Soda told us Ponyboy was, before watching in confusion as we left hurriedly. He had no idea of the whole point of going there.

"What if he says no! What if he wants to end our friendship? What if he hates me?" A million thoughts rushed through my head as my chest tightened. This was so nerve wracking.

About Angela, I haven't seen her since she asked me, which was only yesterday, but I hoped Ponyboy would go with me so I could tell her no. Although the chances were pretty slim. If he said no...well I just don't know.

"He won't! Look man, I see the way he looks at you. I'd say your chances are pretty high." Dally gave me a reassuring smile. I could do this.

But when we got to the lot, he wasn't there.

"Where the hell could he be?" Dally asked out loud. I tried to think. Maybe he was at a movie or something.

"Let's go to Dairy Queen." And why would that be the first place he looked? I would say we just go home and wait, but you don't argue with Dallas Winston. He always gets what he wants.

"Uh...why?" I asked and Dally shrugged.

"I want ice cream. And to look for the kid." I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. He started walking, me trailing behind. We walked to the few blocks to get there, and we walked in.

Sure enough, Ponyboy was leaning against the counter. Since when did he go places like this alone?

"Hey, kid. What are you doing here?" Dally said as he walked up to him. He nervously looked from Dal to me.

"I'm here with someone." I felt my a knot in my stomach and I looked down. Like a date? I wanted to cry. No, don't be like this. Maybe it's just a friend.

"Hey guys." I looked up to see Cherry Valence linking her arm with Ponyboys. It made me sick to my stomach.

"Ew. Man, why are you here with her?" Dally asked. Cherry looked at me and Dal like we were scums. She didn't like me, I killed her boyfriend. But he was drowning Ponyboy. If I didn't kill Bob, Ponyboy probably wouldn't be here standing. And why the hell was she with him? I thought she cared about her reputation too much. Unlike Marcia, who was proud to be with Two-Bit, Cherry wouldn't be caught dead dating a greaser.

"Oh come on, Dally. Me and her are going to the dance together." I felt as if everything paused. I couldn't move. It hurt too much. I felt the tears forming in my eyes. No. Don't cry in front of them. Keep it together, Johnny.

Dally shot me a sympathetic look. I wanted to scream. He wasn't supposed to be with her. He was supposed to be going to this dance with me. It should be my arm linked in his.

"Johnnycake, you okay?" A comforting voice asked. It was Ponyboy. I looked up, I knew I wasn't hiding the fact I was freaking out. Cherry was still glaring at me, and Dally looked like he wanted to punch her. He wouldn't ever hit a woman, though.

I was about to talk, before I looked down at their arms again. I let out a pitiful sob. I hated this. Why does she get him?

I couldn't breathe. I had to get out of here. My head was spinning.

"Johnny?" I didn't say anything else as I ran out of there. I didn't know where I was going, but as long as it was away from them.

Tears ran down my face as I ran. If only he knew how much I loved him...

I wish I could just tell him. But he obviously didn't feel the same.

Ponyboys POV

I stood there shocked. Johnny just ran out of Dairy Queen, practically sobbing. I wondered what was wrong.

It took me about two more seconds to decide I should go after him. I unlink me and Cherrys arms and try to go after him but she grabs my arm.

"Where are you going?" Anywhere that's away from you. I don't want her. I don't like her, not like that. She's a good friend, and she asked me to the dance. There must be a catch or something. I want to go with Johnny but I have no chance with him. That's the only reason I said yes.

"I'm going after Johnny." She was mad but I didn't care. I knew she didn't like him. I'd pick Johnny over anyone any day.

"Yeah, go get him, man! Wait! Don't leave me...with...her..." Dally said as I left. Well, hopefully he won't end up in jail after today.

I guess he was going to the lot. It's where he always went. That place where we would just cuddle while watching sunsets and the stars. He let me fall asleep on him there. I always wondered if he was just being nice or liked it as much as I did.

I love him so much. I wanna be with him, not Cherry...

But I can't.

Sure enough, when I reach the lot, he's there crying. He doesn't cry a lot, so I know it's something. The sight of him crying backs my heart break and the sound just makes me want to take him in my arms and never let him go.

I sigh and walk up to him. He's sitting against the old car seat, so I sit next to him and try and get him to talk to me.

"What's wrong, Johnnycake?" I ask, and he looks up at me with those big beautiful black eyes. They're filled with tears and sadness, and that's enough to make me want to hold him even more. Before I can stop myself, my arms are wrapped around him and he's crying into my chest.

"I-I'm sorry..." I had no idea what he was apologizing for. He didn't do anything wrong.

"Come on, b- Johnny. Just tell me what's wrong." Shit. I almost called him baby. I wish I could do that. Hopefully he didn't notice.

"I-It's just...you're going to the dance with Cherry..." Why the hell was he so upset about that, wasn't he going with Angela?

"Yeah, so? What's the big deal?" That sounded a lot harsher than I wanted it to sound. He broke the hug and he was crying even more now.

"I just-...I want-...oh god...I'm sorry..." I'm getting really frustrated. Why can't he just tell me.

But before I can say anything else, his lips are against mine.

"He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star
He's the song in the car I keep singing don't know why I do"