THREE

Homura breathed heavily, sweat dripping down her face to her neck, to her collarbone and disappearing beneath the maroon shirt Ty Lee had let her wear for this morning as her opponent and she circled each other in the middle of the yard, their swords held firmly in their hands, both of them ready to strike. Neither of them paid attention to the sun that had risen a few hours ago and was caressing the side of their face, too focused on the task at hand. Her eyes never left her opponent's, careful to predict her next move so she could be victorious.

Suki and Homura had been duelling for almost an hour now. They woke up on the crack of dawn, wished Aang a quick and safe journey before Ty Lee showed them the way to the yard and they had been training ever since. It was Homura's favourite activity, fighting with her sword - a sword she had built herself as all Kyoshi warriors had before her - and Suki was the perfect opponent for her. They had been training together ever since they were ten, both of them skilled, she was the greatest fighter Homura ever had the chance to duel. Both of them had been looking forward to this. Both of them expected to win.

Homura made the first move.

Her sword cut the air in two as she striked. Suki dodged it and cast her own attack. Homura blocked it as she took a step forward, brandishing her sword her way. Suki blocked her attack, almost losing her footing at the strength Homura put behind her offence. She kept on attacking, forcing Suki to fall back, having no choice but to defend herself. She gritted her teeth as the girl kept attacking, forcing her to the end of the yard. Just as she was about to corner her, she ducked and quicker than she could react, she got behind her.

Homura let out a small yelp as she found herself with her back on the wall but she didn't give up. Her eyes narrowed as her attacks got stronger and quicker, forcing Suki to take a few steps back to keep her balance. She smirked slightly at the sight as she kept her offensive tactic going, enjoying this supposed victory. It was the only activity Homura had a chance of winning against Suki and she loved every moment of it.

She cast a series of attacks, each one stronger than the other, and finally, Suki let out a yelp as she almost lost her balance. Before she had the chance to recover, Homura attacked, putting a foot behind her own on purpose. She tripped and fell to the ground, and Homura instantly pointed her sword at her face, not bothering to hide her smirk. Suki glared at her.

"You tripped me!"

"You would have fallen regardless, I just helped you fall quicker."

Suki huffed at her reasoning as her opponent let out a small laugh. She outstreched a hand towards her, helping her up. Homura walked away as soon as Suki was up on her feet, twirling her sword with a satisfied smile before her eyes caught sight of someone. Her smile froze, her movement stopped as she turned to the spectator.

The Fire Lord had been watching them.

Zuko was wearing light clothes, his shirt open, allowing her to catch a glimpse of his chest and the evident scar on the middle of his stomach and she had to remind herself it wasn't polite to stare as she dragged her eyes away from him. He was smiling as he pushed himself up from the wall he had been leaning at, and finally, Suki caught sight of him as well. She smiled at him.

"Zuko, we hadn't realised you were watching us."

"I just finished training a while ago and was on my way back to the palace when I heard you fighting," he explained simply as he turned to Homura with a smile, and she forced herself to look away from his half-exposed torso to the bun he had set his hair in that was peculiarly neat even though he claimed he had been training.

"Firebending?" Suki guessed and he nodded as he came to stand in front of them.

"Yeah. I hadn't thought I'd see you having a sword fight." His smile widened as he looked between them. "You're really good."