How did you get here?

Hello hello! It is I, your favorite waitress and bartender! Well, maybe not your favorite just yet. But you'll get to loooove me pretty soon! So yeah, where to start? Oh yeah, probably from the very beginning of this adventure of mine! Maybe I'll just introduce myself.

My name is Amy, I live in a city with a population of 108 thousand, give or take a few hounderd people. I'm 26 years old and I live with my fiance in a tiny apartment. He works as a taxi driver, while I work whatever job I get. Currently, I work as a waitress and bartender. Throughout the years I worked at a lot of places. As a chef, telemarketer, sales representative, apple picking jobs, cow milking, etc. So yeah, I worked EVERYWHERE! I actually like to work and will do ANY job that pays my bills. Well, not literally any job. I'd never sell myself to people. No judgement towards the people who do, tho! You do what you have to do to survive. Anyways, my one and ONLY rule towards my coworkers and my bosses is "If I do my job well, leave me alone to it". Unfortunately, many people like to do just the opposite of that. That's why I usually get fed up with my boss and the job I do, and I just quit. Don't get me wrong, I don't just quit at the smallest problem or criticism. I do like it when you point out things I do wrong and help me fix that. But, if I do stuff right and you're just a freaking prick who LOVES to boss around just to show me you're the boss, you can go fuck yourself and do your job on your own. To add to this, I'm pretty temperamental. I'm Hungarian, you just can't help that! We Hungarians are a messed up nation, and as a result we will mess you up if you mess with us! Just saying.

That was a loooooong introduction, wasn't it? But you still read it, good for you! Well now, how did I get myself into this mess of a job? Because dear reader, that's exactly what it is! You see, that's part two of this little story of mine.

For six months I used to work in an orchard, picking apples for a huge company. The work was fine, the money was ok. Although there were moments when the weather was so bad all I wanted was to go home. But hey, if I sit at home I don't get paid, right? Therefore, I worked my butt off picking apples, trying not to get stuck in knee-deep mud and also pushing tractors out of the mud whenever they got stuck. And believe me, it was more often than any of us liked it. But hey, whatever pays my bills, right? Right?! Right. Because I worked for minimum wage and so did my fiance in those months (summer months are dead in my city, everyone is on vacation on the seaside), I couldn't afford to leave that job and find another. In my country you don't get a job as soon as you leave the old one. Sometimes you're sitting at home for half a year, sending your resume and requests all over the place, only to get shot down. Anyways, the apple picking was over, we did alright. Apple tree pruning was next. Now, that job is tyring! Your hands are above your head for 8 hours, you have to give it a lot of force to actually manage to cut a single branch off. And you have to cut off A LOT of them. All was fine until I got my next paycheck. It was UNDER the minimum wage. I was literally losing money. I went to check with my boss and see what was happening, why didn't I get paid properly? He talked and talked and talked, and basically all he said was:‌ "We don't have enough money to pay you all, so we took off money from ALL your paychecks". So yeah, I pretty much quit right there and then. How about you take money off your own paycheck you asshole?!

I went home angry as hell that day and right away started looking for a job. Remember how I told you that it's hard to get a job here? Well, it is. It is hard to get a DECENT job. You'll understand that once you read my next chapter. It's shocking! But first things first!

There was an ad saying they need a waitress at a little café bar that's 30 meters from my apartment. Once I had a coffee there with a friend of mine, and I liked it because it was a simple, cozy bar. Once I gathered the courage to make the call (I absolutely HATE to call people! Makes my heart race like crazy), the boss lady called me in for an interview. Sure, why not. I had a couple of hundred those in the last couple of years! Instead of boss lady, let's call her "Ivy" (name kind of changed so she wouldn't recognize herself and kick my ass). Ivy told me what would be my job to do, how this café works, who are the patrons etc. I was fine with that, although I did tell her I never worked as a waitress in an actual café. Sure enough, she didn't mind that and offered me to come in tomorrow and try my hand at making coffee and tea and other yummy stuff there are at the bar (shamelessly praising the bar I work at, see?). For two days I came in and worked a couple of hours, so Ivy would see if I'm good enough for this job. Also, there was another waistress (let's call her "Grace") who helped me pick up all there is to know pretty fast. Grace and I had that special relationship right from the second we met and started working together. She's an older lady who has a couple of children, but she is pretty cheery and friendly, but also pretty motherly towards me. Ivy realized we'll make a great team and she was satisfied with me, so I was hired!

This is it this far, hope I wasn't too boring. I mean, I KNOW‌ this part was extra boring, don't you lie to me! But it will get better, no worries. Thanks for sticking with me this far, and read you soon!