Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

"Get out of the fucking car!" Richard growled, his eyes narrowed to slits. "Come on, get out!"

Leaning into the car, he grabbed onto my wrist tightly, making me wince in pain. His nails bit into my skin as he jerked me up and out of the car. Once I was out of the car, he did the same to Anna and I feel the anger boil up inside me. It's there, the fury and blazing fire inside me about ready to burst when I heard Anna cry out from his hard grip on her arm.

I wanted to kick the bastard until he fell to the ground, whimpering in pain, and continue kicking him even then, until he would cry and beg for mercy. I wanted to connect my fist with his face, then spit on it. But I can't. I'm too afraid. Somehow, my fear is rooted deeper than my anger and hatred itself.

As soon as Anna is out of the car, I gently pulled her close to my side and grabbed hold of her hand, squeezing it softly. I heard her sniffling beside me, so I pulled her closer to me and gently lay her head on my chest, embracing her in a comforting hug. I smoothed down her hair and murmured soothing words in her ear until she sniffled and cried no more.

I looked around me and found us parked in a no parking zone at the incredibly large airport. London's Heathrow Airport, if I wasn't wrong. I glanced up at the massive glass building. A sign inside confirmed my suspicions. We could get fined big time for parking here. That would be another waste of my hard earned money. I glanced up at Richard, but took to staring at his shoulder instead of his face.

"Sh-shouldn't," I stutter, shakily. "W-we park, um, somewhere else?" I gesture towards the no parking sign on the corner of the busy road.

I risked a glance up at his face. He was glaring at me with a cold and vicious look. I quickly avert my gaze, staring at the ground at his feet instead.

"What was that, aye?" He asked, his voice a deadly calm.

I took a step back, and gulped, holding onto Anna. I knew better than to believe he was actually really calm. I glanced up at him again. "Ah, n-nothing. Nothing." I shook my head slightly to emphasise my point.

"Why am I so afraid of him? Why does he scare me so much to the point that I didn't dare to stick up for Anna?"I thought to myself. "How could my mother ever fall for this man? How could she marry him? How could she do this to us?"

Just then, mum steps out of the car mechanically, like a controlled robot. She turns towards us, and I already know, as I look into her vacant and emotionless blue eyes, that she hasn't heard a single word that transpired between Richard and me. Or perhaps she did hear, but didn't care. How is she still like this? It has been two years since my father was murdered and she still acts like this. I am still upset about my father's death as well, but my mother had no right to abandon the rest of us like she had.

"Now get your things and get a bloody move on," Richard snaps, impatience clear in his voice.

Still holding onto Anna's hands, I quickly lead her over to the boot of the car to get our things, and so does our so-called mother.

"Oh, here. I'll get that for you, darling." Richard smirks and grabs mum's suit case when she strains to pick it up.

"Thank you," Mum mumbles and gives Richard a small smile. Ugh.

****************

After getting foul looks and growled at by Richard, Richard causing a scene in the line for security with a man that 'supposedly' pushed in, and being pushed and shoved among the throngs of people, braving the body odour of sweaty bodies in the airport and waiting in line for security for 45 minutes, we finally boarded the plane.