Chapter 17

In the darkness of the night, Yibo stared at the ceiling with glassy eyes.

It felt like invisible icy claws tearing apart something inside his chest. A pain, forgotten for so many years, returned to him like a nightmare and he wanted to hug himself so bad.

They accepted everything else, money, good looks, high status in society, fame, everything...well almost everything... 

Except for the thing named as Wang Yibo.

In the end, nobody accepted him. Not even the person he had waited for.

It felt inevitable somehow. This loneliness, this pain, It was as if he was earmarked for this. After all, he ought to have known it after that person predicted it long ago as he was being taken away.

You know what...in this world, nobody loves the thing known as "you". Nobody ever will, because one cannot love without reason.

These words had been etched in his mind somehow. At first, he didn't want to believe it but as time grew he started to... that what he spoke was nothing but the truth.

And then there was...him...

"...do you think the price of a life, and that too 'your' own life, is as cheap as some money or a position in your goddamn company?"

In a flash, his mind travelled to Zhan's bandaged palm, the bruises and the wounds that had made him cringe several times during all these few days.  

Fool. Risking life for the people you don't even know... 

Why?

Why can't  I even hate you for breaking me like this...

Unmindfully Yibo touched his own chest. There, tucked away deep inside his jacket pocket were the broken halves of his Mom's hairpin. 

Mama...

That day too he was helpless and only watched her leave.

The door opened once more,

"Yibo why haven't you turned the lights on, weren't you afraid of d---

"Let it be off brother."

There was something in his too calm voice which told Haikuan something wasn't right.

"Yibo?"

"Why I'm usually afraid of dark...you know it right?"

"Yibo?"

Yes he did, he knew it all. All of Yibo's secrets, he had been carrying them, right the from the time he had just learnt to talk. And this too wasn't unknown to him. 

But all Wang Yibo did was to lie in complete silence.

                                                          ***********************************

There are certain characteristics of a busy city. Nobody cares whatever business you have until it affects them. It is called hiding in plain sight.  And that is why no one nobody cared to have a peek inside the nearby alleyway. For if they did they could see a breathtakingly handsome young man dressed in a hoodie, wearing a pair of glasses and leaning against the wall. 

As the chilly October air swirled around him Zhan pulled his hoodie more tightly around himself.and then pushed back the glasses on his nose. It was his first outing in three days. These three days he had been researching about what kind of software the Xenius O can be.  

A tiny smile appeared on the lips of Zhan. These few days he had been locking himself up inside his room all day only coming out during mealtimes. Jiang Cheng had been almost mad at being ignored by him. And Zhan was sure it was making him madder every day.