Chapter 20

Xiao Zhan woke on the floor of an almost dark room. His head was bursting in pain.

"Where am I----ouch!"

As he tried to sit up a pain shot through his waist and he gasped, his hand reaching automatically for the pain spot.

It was still blurry but snippets of memories started to return to him.

He remembered being led to the car by one of Wen Chao's bodyguard and the sudden stab of pain as he was about to enter.  The rest was a blur.

"That must be an anaesthetic injection.... but what's the use of drugging me when I was already their slave?"

The memories were flooding his brain now, The auction, Yibo's arrival and him harshly rejecting Yibo...

Xiao Zhan sighed.

Wang Yibo.The person his logical mind was least expecting to come... Because that is normal, that is how it should be... Any sensible person who has the least self-preservation instinct should have left Xiao Zhan in his own world to deal with his own trouble. Not to mention someone who had almost died in the hands of one of Zhan's past enemy.

And he had tried to' bore' this into Yibo's head too, the night he left the Wang Mansion for the final time. And as far as Xiao Zhan knew, he wasn't being kind when he did that.

"Stupid kid" Zhan mumbled softly."Do you still want to drag me back and play your kid's idea of master and slave game like before, without even realizing the changed situation now?"

When he entered the auction for the first time his thoughts were only on how to obtain a bit of money to make the ends meet for his family. But with the arrival of Yu Qing it has now turned into a battle of survival and a quest for truth, because no matter what he can't let history repeat itself. This was his own battle, and Yibo must not get caught up in that.

Yet at the auction, there was something in his voice which was so pleading, so heart touching that Zhan felt something building up in his own throat.

"you don't have to go through all this. Just go and sit in my car, I'll take care of the rest. "

In his heart, he knew that he owed Yibo an explanation for his decision to leave Wang mansion so suddenly. But doing so will involve him and that is precisely he had to make sure doesn't happen.

(Flashback)

Cool night wind swept Zhan's hairs as he leant on the railing of the terrace of the fifty story building known as the Wang Medical Facility looking at the brightly lit city. 

"Mr Xiao?"

Zhan turned back to find Meng Yao

"Mr Haikuan sent his thanks for taking care of second master these days," he said bowing

"It's nothing really"

Meng Yao came and stood beside him

"Mr Haikuan also wants to know if he can help you with something in return"

"It's okay, there is nothing at all. " said Zhan "Thank you "

"Are you sure?"

Zhan looked at him inquiringly

"They say the best way to strike the enemy is when they are unprepared, and like it or not Mr Zhan, your battle has already begun. We can help you in your quest. Don't tell me that in these long years you have never even once wondered what caused your Mom's accident or what the last creation of your mom might be. "