9 ⚔️ Captive

"Demoness, you're coming back with us," Dukai said.

The guys held their breaths and kept their swords pointed at her, trying to anticipate what kind of stunt she would pull next. Who knew that behind those demure eyes of hers lay deception and immorality?

She took a hesitant step back, her eyes flitting between them all. Before she could turn to flee, Zhijian blocked her.

"Move another step and I'll bury my sword in your heart," he warned her darkly.

The Demoness remained still, watching him with those innocent, doe-like eyes. She stared up at him with a silent plea, begging him to let her go.

Was this how her past victims had fallen for her charms but ended up getting murdered instead?

But Zhijian wasn't one of them – he was determined not to fall for her wicked schemes. Whatever deadly powers she possessed, he was certain that she should have a weakness that they could use against her.

Besides, Dukai was present too. No matter how annoying the man was, Zhijian admitted that his fighting ability was the best that he had ever seen. The boy had yet to see anybody being a match for the formidable Dukai.

"You're coming back with us to face the punishment of your sins," Zhijian told her. "If you resist, we will not hesitate to kill you." Even if it costs their lives.

The Demoness immediately winced at the remembrance of her past. Her face fell and, to their astonishment, she merely gave them a small nod – a clear indication that she would concede with their demands.

Of her own volition, she surrendered.

***

Throughout the long boat ride back to the mainland, the silence was so stifling that you could cut through it with a sharp-edged sword. Everybody was tense as they sat side by side, eyeing the Demoness with caution, who was sitting opposite them with an emotionless look on her face.

Dukai leaned towards Zhijian, his voice dropped to a whisper. "Do you see the way she's looking at you? What did you do to her? She's showing interest in you."

For once, he had spoken the truth. The girl only had eyes for Zhijian, observing him with curiosity throughout the entire journey. He was left utterly confused by the odd, expectant look that she was giving him.

As if this was a staring contest, he stared right back at her daringly, both of them refusing to look away.

The hell was she staring at him for? Was there something on his face? Unless...unless she was aware about the dreams that he was having prior to meeting her? Was it possible to share dreams?

"I don't know," Zhijian answered Dukai honestly. "Maybe it's just my fine-looking face."

The young Elder gaped at him in horror. "That's impossible. No one is able to beat my handsome looks, not even you. Look at this face of mine," he gestured to himself. "Demoness or not, can anybody resist this?"

Zhijan snorted, incredulous at his immature behaviour. "It's also a face that I would love to punch," he added, before shaking his head exasperatedly. "Can you act a little more adult? Have you forgotten that we are still in the midst of our mission?"

Dukai leaned back and folded his arms behind his head, relaxed. "Well, I'm bored. Not to mention that the Binding Spell that I've placed on her has sealed her powers away temporarily. She can't do any harm to us right now."