29 ⚔️ A Woman's Jealousy

After receiving the bounty for eliminating the demon, the pair returned to Leader Xu's manor the next morning. Someone was pacing back and forth by the gate, waiting for their return. But it was not Jinlong.

"Zhijian!"

A bewitchingly beautiful girl dressed in a pink, peony hanfu – threw her hands around him while Xiaoyu watched them from behind, her eyes growing wide in surprise.

With a stiffened posture, Zhijian glanced down at the girl, then did a double take.

"Liqing?"

"Yes, it's me!" The girl drew her face back to look at him with a bright smile blooming on her delicate face. Her beauty was flawless and she exuded an air of class, style and elegance. Without a doubt, this was the kind of lady that would easily win everyone's hearts. Xiaoyu could imagine the countless number of men turning up at Liqing's house in hopes of asking her hand in marriage.

For her to display such bold affection towards Zhijian, she must be someone that he was pretty close to.

She smiled sweetly. "It has been too long, hasn't it? How have you been?"

However, he was someone who was obviously not fond of people touching him. If she had noticed his discomfort, she pretended not to be aware of it.

He removed her hands gently and took a step back, making sure that he hid Xiaoyu from her view. After all, no one was supposed to see the Demoness walking about in broad daylight.

"I'm doing well," Zhijian replied coolly. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to visit Uncle and you! It has been two months since we last met." Liqing's eyes tore her gaze away from his handsome face and settled on the girl behind him instead. Something dark flickered in her eyes for a brief moment before it vanished.

"Who's this girl?"

"An acquaintance of mine. We were just getting back from a mission."

Her expression held doubt upon hearing his vague answer and she tried to sneak a peek, her curious eyes roving over Xiaoyu with an unmistakably hint of displeasure. "Really? She's not your lover or whatsoever?"

Zhijian paused with a slight frown, not knowing how he should reply. "She's–"

"–you guessed right!"

Jinlong's voice interrupted their conversation at an impeccable timing. His abrupt appearance diverted Liqing's attention from Xiaoyu to him instead. Jogging towards the group, he stood in front of his best friend and threw an arm over his shoulder.

"You know what Zhijian is like – being shy and all. She's his betrothed!"

Shocked by the news, Liqing's face paled immediately. Turning towards Zhijian, her brimming eyes pleaded with him for verification. "T-that can't be true, right? You told me before that you have no intention of settling down with anybody in this life, except me. You promised to give me a chance."

Zhijian released an exasperated sigh. Obviously, this was a topic that they had talked about over and over again.

"We were children then. You practically cried and clung onto me everyday until I gave you the answer you wanted. Moreover, we are cousins."

"Not blood-related cousins," she pouted. "It's not counted if your name isn't even on the family register."

Jinlong hurriedly cut in. "Come on, Liqing. You know there are plenty of handsome men out there who are not as stingy, rude and hideous as Zhijian. What do you see in him anyways? Take me for example – I'm rich and charming!"