10 ⚔️ The Discovery

Ever since the Demoness's arrival at the Valley of the Dawn, the weight of uneasy tension hung in the air. Her presence made everyone nervous, like a cat on a hot tin roof, fearing that she might unleash her terrifying powers upon them anytime.

Night had fallen. Jinlong burst into Zhijian's room for the second time that day, disrupting his much needed rest. Earlier on, his friend had been so eager to learn all the details about his mission that he kept himself close to Zhijian, pushing his excited face right into his field of vision.

After obtaining the entire story, he ran around the residence to gather updates on the current situation of the famous villainess who was now being held captive in their hands.

Jinlong joined Zhijian and plopped down on his bed. His eyes shimmered with excitement as he rubbed his hands together gleefully.

He nudged him. "Listen to this – the interrogation didn't go well. The Demoness refused to say anything at all. Others are saying it's because she's mute."

Still disoriented from being startled awake, Zhijian blinked sleepily and ran a hand through his tousled hair.

He yawned. "They might be right. I have not heard her speak either."

Jinlong ran a finger across his chin thoughtfully. "Strange, how did she kill over a hundred men herself?" he questioned. "Why is she refusing to disclose her powers? I'm not complaining because I don't want her to use them on us, but it is such a mystery! Anyway, the Elders have placed her in the dungeon and are intending to execute her tomorrow morning in public. We have to be present too."

"Tomorrow morning?" Zhijian repeated in surprise.

Things were moving faster than he expected. But then again, perhaps the Elders thought that it would set everyone's mind at ease if the biggest threat was eliminated from this world.

Jinlong pursed his lips disappointedly. "To think that my first meeting with the Demoness will be at the execution grounds! Tell me, is she as young as what the others say? Not even a strand of white hair, wrinkles or a hunched back?"

Instead of answering the question, Zhijian prodded his best friend's legs with his feet playfully. "If you still have that much energy in you, how about you get me some dinner? I'm starving."

"No!" Jinlong refused, crossing his arms in discontent. "Not until you spill the secret that you have been hiding. Keeping it from everyone is understandable, but from me? Are you looking down on our years of friendship, Zhijian?!"

Zhijian scratched his head in confusion, not understanding what his friend was talking about. Jinlong eventually grew exasperated, shaking his head in utter disbelief.

"You? Suffering from seasickness?" he exclaimed. "I have never seen you getting sick when we played down by the river when we were young. For as long as I know you, you are as fit as a fiddle. Tell me, what made you sick again for the second time in a week?"

The fact that Jinlong had noticed it caught him by surprise.

"Seriously?" Zhijian looked away and murmured under his breath. "How are you so quick-witted when it comes to such things?"

Jinlong grinned at him smugly. "Right? Sometimes, I think that I'm more suited to be a chief investigator instead of a demon hunter."