64 ⚔️ Home

Walking back to the Jiang residence had never been this peaceful.

With every step Xiaoyu took, she felt lighter. The reins that once latched her ankles and held her down were gone. She was now free to live without fear, not even at her own abilities. She was learning to embrace them as a part of her. And perhaps someday, she could control her powers well and prove to everyone that she wasn't as frightening as they believed her to be. 

Just like them, she was a human.

The rain stopped. When she reached the entrance, the fight between the Jiang and Xu clans had ceased. Both groups stood on each side with heaving chests, watching as Dukai and a tired-looking Jiang Ziyi converse between them. Surprisingly, Jiang Yuhan was present as well and Xiaoyu guessed that during the time she was away, he was the one who had released his niece from the dungeon and got her to call off the battle.

However, they weren't the ones she was searching for.

The sound of her approaching footsteps alerted them. Their heads turned, eyes widening and jaws dropped. 

She was aware of how terrible she looked; pale face, sunken eyes and dirtied clothes. The fact that she was alive stunned them so much; her appearance simply stole words out of their mouths, until someone called out her name hesitantly. 

"D-Demoness?"

With a hand clutching her slightly-throbbing ribs, she walked right up to Jiang Yuhan. His face was a mixture of surprise, joy and relief. She knew he would want to hear her explanation but that would have to wait until later. For now, finding Zhijian was her priority.

Almost impatiently, she asked him. "Where is he?"

Jiang Yuhan understood immediately. "He remains at the bridge. After you jumped, he went into a state of shock." Placing his hand on her shoulder, he steered her in the right direction. "Go. Tell him you're still alive."

He didn't even need to tell her twice. She quickened her pace and shuffled past everybody. Along the way, she encountered Jinlong, who was carrying a traumatised Zhixuan.

When they saw her, the younger boy broke into tears again. He reached his hand towards her.

"Princess!" he wailed. Hiccuping a few times, he stared at her as if he had seen a ghost. "You're a-alive..."

She lifted him into her arms and gave him a tight hug. At the same time, she locked eyes with Jinlong, shooting him a weary smile.

He smiled back at her before jabbing a thumb behind him. "If you're looking for Zhijian, he's back there. He was adamant on us leaving him alone," he sighed. "You're the only one he wishes to see. I promise to take Zhixuan back safely, so please, go to him."

Nodding, Xiaoyu handed him the boy and left, refusing to stop until she found herself at the stone bridge where she last leapt to her supposed death. A forlorn figure sat in the middle of it with his head hung, his back looking small and miserable.

Seeing him in this state made her chest ache painfully. Death hurt more for the ones that were left behind and she had broken his heart.

With slow footsteps, she approached him. He didn't seem to realise she was here, nor did he care that someone was watching him. She could see the side of his face, his eyes empty and lifeless. All he was doing was to stare hopelessly at the running waters beneath the bridge, waiting for her to materialise from there.

Dropping to her knees, she wrapped her arms around his body tightly and leaned her head on his back. She felt the shock in him as he tensed up.

"Zhijian," she told him in a quiet voice. "It's me. I came back."