ONE

"people can be so quiet about their pain that you forget they're even hurting."

*

Travelers hustled through King's Cross Station, completely oblivious to anyone other than themselves. They were so busy, in fact, that they didn't notice a young man silently make his way through the crowd. Dressed in a white button-down, black pants, and a red scarf, all fitting his slim form perfectly, the boy approached Platforms 9 and 10 with a slight smirk on his face. He rested against the corner of the column before casually leaning right through it.

The solitude didn't bother Sirius Black the slightest bit. He loved it. He smiled fully for the first time in a month as he emerged onto Platform 9 3/4. Smoke curled from the train and magic seemed to buzz in the air. This place was different. Different from Grimmauld Place, where he could never be himself. Different from the cold glares of his parents, from the concerned glance of his younger brother.

Sirius scanned the platform for a few particular faces, but finding none of them, he lifted his luggage and headed onto the train.

"Padfoot!" James called from their usual compartment. Lounging lazily, Potter took up the majority of a seat but moved his long legs over when Sirius entered. "Long time, no see."

"Tell me about it. Where's Remus and Peter?" He set his bag down.

"You know the drill. It's the same every year. Peter always barely makes it, and Remus was talking to Eva at the other end of the station. They'll be here soon, I bet."

"Eva? How's she? I haven't seen Blondie in months."

James shrugged. "She went on some trip, I think. Maybe. Spent some time with family, saw a few Muggle bands in concert. I got a load of owls from her, but I didn't see her at all. She writes even more than Pettigrew, it got a little annoying at some times. It was nice to talk to her, though."

"Hm," was all Sirius said in reply. Truth be told, he missed the girl more than he cared to admit over the summer holidays. He could have used her positivity but was convinced that his parents checked his correspondence and couldn't imagine the beating he'd get if they caught him writing to a Muggle-born. He could practically hear the words they'd call him in scathing tones.

Disgrace. Blood traitor. Unworthy member of the most noble House of Black.

It terrified him. For the first month of summer, she sent letter after letter. He read every single one but didn't respond to any of them. His gray eyes flicked down to his wrist as he checked the time.

"They'd better get moving. The train always leaves on time." 

A smaller boy with short brown hair poked his head through the door.

"Hello," Peter greeted, taking a seat across from James. His voice wavered slightly, as if he was unsure that the boys would let him in, even though they were best friends.

"Hey, Wormtail. How was your summer?"

"It was okay. Boring. We didn't do a whole lot." His fingers twitched at his sides. "Anything new with you guys?"

"Nothing," Sirius lied. "It's our sixth year. We've got to get some good pranks in this year. Only got two left, after all. You get Quidditch Captain, Prongs?"

James shook his head. "Nah, it went to McKinnon. You know, Marlene's older brother? He graduates next year, though, I'll have my shot. McGonagall knows I'm the best player on the team anyway. You really should try out this year, mate. We need a new beater."