TWENTY-EIGHT

"every time i look at you is like the first time"

*

Eva opened her eyes slowly, closing them as an immediate headache pierced her temple. The sterile smell of the hospital wing seemed offensively strong, and it took her a moment to remember what had happened at all.

"Eva?" The soft voice of Sirius Black inclined her to open her eyes again. He pushed a few curls out of her face, the relief on his evident. "Hi."

"Hi there. What happened?" The blonde girl mumbled, already trying to sit up, but he pushed her back down. "Where is everyone? Did we win?"

"Slow down, Blondie. I have no idea if we're winning. The match is still going on. We've been here for about two hours now."

Eva's eyebrows shot up. She looked around the hospital wing, but they were the only two there. "Then why are you here?"

Sirius shook his head, a little grin on his face. Leaning closer to her ear, he said, "Because I wanted to be."

"You shouldn't be. You should be out there having fun and announcing-"

"I have a feeling that I will never be announcing ever again," Sirius joked. "Plus, it's freezing out there. Not that fun."

"I guess you're right." Eva smiled a bit. "Are you going to kill me if I try to sit up?"

"Nah. I'll help you." Sirius grasped her hand and put his other hand on her back. Just from the movement, she felt dizzy and closed her eyes again. "You okay?"

"Yeah. Did I get a concussion?"

He nodded. "Yaxley broke your nose, too, but Madam Pomfrey already fixed it. You broke a few ribs and your arm too, but that's all fine now. I think she's gonna make you stay the night just in case."

Eva reached up and felt her nose, which seemed to be relatively normal. Tentatively, she asked, "Does it look bad?"

"I don't know. It looks like a nose. What do you want me to say?" Sirius grinned and glanced around to see if Madam Pomfrey was nearby before kicking his feet up on the bed and leaning back on his chair as if he owned the hospital wing.

"Sirius, you're the absolute worst," Eva teased, pulling her knees to her chest and resting her chin on her knees. He reached out to mess with her hair but she slapped him away.

"Come on, Blondie, girls love a bad boy." He smirked seductively and let his hair fall into his stormy gray eyes. "Don't you?"

Her stomach twisted. She couldn't tell if he was flirting or not. "No. I like boys that behave themselves," Eva replied, deciding to go for the gusto. If it sounded stupid, she'd blame it on her injury.

"Oh? Are you a good girl now?" Sirius chuckled. Their hands lay inches apart on the white sheets. Take her hand. Don't be stupid. He didn't listen to his own advice and instead left his hand where it was. "Graffiti-ing my dear cousin's face, running from Filch, turning James' robes pink?"