ii.

Rachel would not leave the room so Cassie and Dick decided to sit with her. Cass placed a comforting hand on the distraught girl's back.

Rachel blubbered an apology, "I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's okay." She gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze, "No one was hurt."

"It's getting worse." The blue haired girl pulled her knees closer.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for, Rachel." Dick said, "I'm the one who should -"

At the sound of knocking, the three of them turned around. Dawn smiled at Rachel, "How you doing, sweetheart?" She leaned against the wall, "Hank is sorry. He can be a real asshole sometimes." The woman made eye contact with Cassie, then Dick, "We gotta go. Hank and I have that thing."

"Dawn," Dick got up, "I really think you should reconsider. Okay? We both know it's too dangerous."

Behind them, Hank was packing things in the living room.

"You win some, you lose some." Dawn walked past her old friend, "And before you say anything, Cassie, no." She gave the girl a stern gaze, "You cannot come anywhere near this job, okay? Not the way you are now."

As the light haired woman began talking to Rachel, Cassie accidentally met eyes with Dick, who frowned. What does she mean, he asked through his expression and she shrugged as if to say none of your business before walking past him.

"Despite what the lady said," The teen handed Hank a small device with a button on it, "If you two find yourself stuck, press this. I'll be there."

Hesitating a little before pocketing it, the man grinned, "One of your ninja thingies?"

"Sort of." She patted his arm as Dawn opened the front door, "Try not to get shot out there. Bring me back some drugs!"

"Hilarious, Cass."

Chuckling, she waited until they left before scowling at the feeling of dread that formed in her stomach. Her instincts were usually right. Hawk and Dove were going to be in trouble.

"Isn't that what you do?" She heard Rachel say, "You help people."

Richard chuckled, "I used to think so." He sat down on a chair, with his back to Cassie, "I used to think it was one of the things I was best at. Until I realized the more help someone needed, the worse I had to hurt the others. Do you understand?" It felt like it was directed at Cassie too.

"Sometimes," Rachel leaned closer, "when I feel the darkness come out it feels good."

"I understand."

"You want to help them." She nodded, "You're just scared. Sometimes there's just no time to be scared."

"Richard, you saw the number of contractors." Cassie's voice made him turn around, "They're walking right into a trap. I can't go unless it's absolutely unavoidable - and that's saying something since I left that life behind as well. But," She placed an uncertain hand on his shoulder, taking him by surprise, "you know you're not one to walk away when someone's in trouble. I know that's why you became a cop. It's like Rachel said. You help people."

He brought his hand up to hers, and stood up, "I'm - I'm so sorry, Cass."

"I'm not going to forgive you this easily," The grip on her hand tightened a little, "And I'm not going to forgive for what you're going to do. But for what it's worth, I hope you do the right thing."