Thirteen

Just as the week was ending, Shi Xiao Xi finally received a call from the Chunlan Group company. It was the only unregistered number in her phone. She let it ring twice before answering, using the time to get a notepad and a pen.

"Hello? This is Shi Xiao Xi speaking."

"Miss Shi, this is the Chunlan Group company, calling to tell you about the results of your job interview last week."

Shi Xiao Xi took a deep breath. As expected, it was the Chunlan Group.

"Our company was very impressed with your qualifications, and we are pleased to inform you that the job is yours if you want it. If you could give us your decision by this week, we would be very happy to meet you at the company to discuss your contract."

Shi Xiao Xi blinked. Unable to help herself, she asked, "I'm sorry, do you mean to say that I'm...I'm hired?"

Even through the phone, she could hear the smile in the caller's voice at the obvious shock in her tone.

"Yes, Miss Shi."

"I..." Shi Xiao Xi forcibly restrained her happiness, only letting her lips curl up in a tiny grin. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Miss Shi. Anything else?"

"No, that's all. Thank you once again."

"Goodbye, Miss Shi."

"Goodbye."

Once she hung up, Shi Xiao Xi threw herself on the couch and tightly squeezed the pillow there. Kicking up her legs in the air, she rolled a few times in excitement. Suddenly, the phone in her hand rang once again.

Shi Xiao Xi took a deep breath and answered softly, "Hello?"

Surprise was evident on the caller's voice.

"Miss Shi?"

"Mr. Han?" Shi Xiao Xi was surprised too.

"Miss Shi, did you call me before? I noticed that there was an unfamiliar number in my call history. Only a few people know my private number, so I decided to check it. I didn't think the caller would be you."

Shi Xiao Xi was embarrassed. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, Mr. Han. There was actually something that I wanted to ask you..."

Before she could say that she had already resolved it by herself, Mr. Han's eager voice came through the line.

"Really? Coincidentally, I also had something to ask Miss Shi. If Miss Shi is free tonight, why don't we meet up and have dinner? It would be my treat."

Shi Xiao Xi paused. Thinking that she still hadn't given Mr. Han a thank you gift for helping her before, she agreed.

The two of them decided to meet up at a restaurant near Shi Xiao Xi's neighborhood. Shi Xiao Xi baked honey oatmeal cookies and put put them inside an empty jam jar. She then wrapped it up in brown paper and tied it neatly with a ribbon.

When evening came, Shi Xiao Xi pulled out her umbrella from the stand on the foyer and placed used newspapers before her front door. She had checked the weather forecast and saw that there was an eighty percent of heavy rain tonight.

Shi Xiao Xi wore a woollen wrap coat with a white knitted sweater and a pair of light-colored jeans underneath. Her face only had light make-up and her brown hair was tied in a loose braid. It slid over her shoulder when she bent down to tuck her jeans into her rain boots.

After Shi Xiao Xi arrived at the restaurant, she checked her watch and saw that she was ten minutes too early. She greeted the hostess at the front door and followed her as she was led to a window seat.

"My companion isn't here yet, is it alright?" Shi Xiao Xi asked her.

The hostess nodded and smiled. She already had a good impression of Shi Xiao Xi. Most customers would have ignored her presence and picked a table on their own.

Loosening the belt of her coat, Shi Xiao Xi glanced around the room. This wasn't a high-end restaurant by any means, but the customers were all well-dressed and the staff were polite. Shi Xiao Xi thought that the next time her paycheck arrived, she would invite her mother and Wu Zhenzhen to come and eat here.

Shi Xiao Xi didn't wait long. A minute later, Mr. Han came in through the door with a glamorous woman in tow. The woman was wearing expensive clothing from head to toe, revealing her curvaceous body and long legs. When Mr. Han spotted Shi Xiao Xi, he looked at her with an awkward and apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry Miss Shi, there was a bit of delay at the company." He gestured to the woman by his side who was scrutinizing Shi Xiao Xi with thinly-veiled disdain. "This is...Miss Wen, CEO Lin's, ah, current girlfriend."

Miss Wen pursed her lips, which was coated with glossy red lipstick. "Who're you?"

Shi Xiao Xi stood up and smiled, offering her hand, "Good evening, I'm Shi Xiao Xi, Mr. Han's acquaintance. It's nice to meet you, Miss Wen."

Miss Wen ignored her hand, directly surveying the available tables and plopping her bottom on the most luxurious-looking one. Mr. Han shot a helpless smile at Shi Xiao Xi.

"I was about to come and meet you when Miss Wen expressed her desire to eat. CEO Lin was still busy at the company, so he made me take her," he explained.

Shi Xiao Xi became uneasy, and she asked, "Is he going to join us later?"

Mr. Han shook his head. "I don't think so. CEO Lin skips his dinner most of the time."

Shi Xiao Xi relaxed. She nodded towards the hostess by the door, "I'll ask if we could switch tables. I still haven't ordered, but I heard that their chow mein special is to die for."

Mr. Han smiled, "I'll make sure to order it."

Because there were only a few customers, their orders quickly arrived. In unison, Shi Xiao Xi and Mr. Han placed the table napkins on their laps. Miss Wen hesitated, then reluctantly followed them.

"Miss Shi, I haven't seen you for a while. Have you been well?" Mr. Han asked her.