• p r o l o g u e - A d o n i s •

• Two months earlier •

Adonis Lazarus took steady steps towards his father's office

Adonis Lazarus took steady steps towards his father's office. He undid his suit buttons as he walked, already feeling suffocated under the weight of them. The luxurious hallway illuminated as he walked down, the ancient torch lights on the walls flickering on as he walked by. Although they lived in the 21st century, this hallway in particular was the oldest part of the house, and his father didn't bother changing it to match the rest of the house interior.

Adonis hated it.

Despite feeling confident at all times, Adonis always stumbled when it came to seeing his father. He hated walking into his dimly lit study, his second wife sitting on the couch like some prized possession, as his father sat at the head of his desk with a stern look engraved onto his face. He hated having to listen to the lecture of him not being good enough, but he always listened politely, complying with the next mission his father laid out for him. And he always completed them.

No matter what the mission was, Adonis Lazarus never backed down.

He reached the tall ebony door, rapping his knuckles against it loudly. His heart was beating rapidly against his chest, and he took a deep breath as he knocked.

"Come in," his Marco Lazarus called out from the other side.

Adonis sighed and opened the door, stepping inside a moment later. Like he predicted, his father was sitting behind his desk, a file in his hands, while his stepmother sat on the couch, scrolling through her phone.

Adonis walked inside and the door closed behind him, immediately catching the attention of his father. Adonis strolled in further, and stopped in front of his father's desk, his hands folded behind his back.

 Adonis strolled in further, and stopped in front of his father's desk, his hands folded behind his back

"Ah, Adonis. Here you are," Marco said after a moment.

Adonis nodded. Natasha Lazarus looked up at the noise, scoffing when she saw her stepson standing in front of her, his back to her.

"What did you need, father?" Adonis said in his deep, masculine voice.

Marco didn't look up from his file as he spoke next.