🌸 Chapter 19 🌸

<Tamaki>

Soft mellow light melted of to an amber glow, illuminating the fragile remnants of the city in a dying halo. I hummed along to the choir melody of the wind, rocking my unharmed leg back and fourth to the bittersweet hallucination  of voices warped by the wind.

The park had become somewhat of a sanctuary. Despite the overgrown mass of weeds that had accumulated over years, seizing the park as it's territory, there was a comfort in knowing that, just maybe, in the urban cities of Japan a faceless stranger could be walking around a park much like this one, feeling just as lost and alone.

Over the passing nights I had flitted through many decrepit 'houses' each one seemingly more ransacked than the last. The brunt of those nights were spent shuffling against the concrete floors that groaned at my every movement, the threat of collapse looming over my broken body. On the better nights, the stars would pave my way to society, their brilliance of vibrant colors exploding across the sky in a rainbow of galaxies and universes, claiming the role of my temporary friend until the sun would rise, eating away the darkness, in all its beauty, replacing it with sunny rays that further illuminated my prison.

Did I feel scared? Sad, confused, empty? No, the truth was that despite the chaos that had whipped this domain into a cities graveyard, I felt incapable of growing to hate it. Yes, these concrete walls proved to hold me prisoner and, yes, I felt trapped; chained to the rubbled remains of the once great district. However, the burden of society straining my heart and coaxing me to do better, be better, had been relieved and without those shackles, that constant pressure, I felt at ease.

It dawned on me that my little vacation had rid me from the lingering flutter in my stomach and the heated fantasies of what could be with Mirio. Could have been. I decided to push that thought away, deciding not to dwell on past feelings, if I could call it that, instead I'd look to the future. In twenty years time would I still be here? Rocking myself to sleep in churned concrete mounds. Would I rejoin civilization? Continue hero studies? See Mirio again?

I shook my head in hopes of shaking away those burning questions that had buried so deep in my mind.

<Mirio>

In light of Tamaki's survival, or at least non-murder death, a search party would be sent out to those far abandoned regions of Japan, a search party that, due to my 'fragile' mental state, I would not be joining. Or that, at least, is what they said. I on the other hand planned on tagging along.  

How I plotted to do that? I had no idea. The only thing I knew for certain was that with the new found information on Tamaki, my inner longing and desire had only deepened their roots in my heart. A feverish heat stalked my every thought of him, some nights I found myself so caught up in these lucid fantasies, that I was almost incapable of sleep, the after shock of adrenaline pumping through my veins and beads of sweat accumulating on my brow.

I'm going of topic.

What I meant was, in a measly day the expedition would depart and though I most certainly wouldn't be capable of weaseling my way into their ranks if, by chance, I just happened to be in the same area it would be my duty as a hero in training to aid the search to the best of my ability. I had lost Tamaki once I wouldn't lose him again.

I tried to stop the rapidly flourishing hope from infecting me, after all, the blood had tested positive as Tamaki's meaning that somewhere out there he was silently suffering. The odds that he had survived so long after losing so much blood were slim. Next to none, even. Yet that small flicker of hope was enough to ignite a dopey smile across my soft features.