New Beginnings

Blu was deeply hurt. They all were; however, Blu was the one most upset by the knowledge of his parents' death. He spent so much time thinking, trying to remember his past. Then he went through all the trouble of fighting Terrin, just to find out his parents were gone.

He wished very much that they hadn't abandoned him and Jasmine; at the same time, he was thankful they had been spared the early death.

"I miss you, guys," he said to himself as if speaking to his parents.

"I do, too." Jasmine came to check on her older brother.

Blu turned and grinned at her, a tear forming in the corner of his eye. He was beginning to cry. Jasmine gave Blu a hug, trying to comfort him and herself. She was thankful that they had found each other before this terrible moment; otherwise, they'd be at a loss of what to do.

"Blu, look at me," she whispered, releasing him and turning his attention to her. "We may not have our parents here to guide us anymore, but we still have each other. Let's not allow the fact that they are gone distract us from the fact that we still have each other."

Blu smiled. He was more than happy to have a sister - a younger one, nonetheless - who had his back.

"Jewel told me you came in here. I wanted to see how you were taking the news, which it is obvious how you are. I was -- well, I guess you can't say raised, in the forest. I seem to be a tougher bird than you are, city boy."

That evoked a laugh from him.

---------------

She grew frantic, pacing to and fro inside the empty hollow. "She should have been here. I know she should have been."

The poor bird just couldn't imagine where Jasmine could have gone. Her little motley group had searched everywhere, and found nothing.

---------------

Later in the day, Blu and his family attended a soccer match in the Soccer Pit, the new name both tribes agreed upon for the Pit of Doom. They also agreed to have a soccer match once a month, just for the sake of the fun.

Eduardo resumed his usual role as coach of his team. "Pass it! Hurry! Ah, come on! That cost us a nut!" Apparently, another new member decided to NOT pass the ball and to get the ball to the right goal on his own; he failed.

"I see someone has pulled my stunt," Blu said. He and the family had seats next to the benches.

"Yes, but you have since learned which goal is ours. He forgets every t... Yeah! That's how it's done, Roberto! You're the bird!"

An hour and a half and fifteen points later, the Blue Spix team won the soccer match that they struggled to get through because of the new player. He had been with the tribe his entire life, but he had not played a single game; obviously because he was too young.

As they were packing up to head home, Jasmine pulled Blu aside and asked him, "Blu, can you help me find a hollow of my own?"

"Why don't you ask Eddy to help you? He may already know a spot you can stay," Blu answered.

Jasmine immediately hopped down beside Eduardo, which was an act he wasn't too pleased about but accepted. "Um... Eduardo? That is your name? I want--need to ask if you might know a place I can call my own?"

"There aren't any vacant spots near the waterfall, but, since you asked, I will tell you that I considered expanding our territory to your original hollow. I've already discussed the expansion with Felipe, and he says he would like to join us in the expansion, just bordering outside of the nut grove."

Jasmine grew ecstatic. She couldn't believe that she would get the opportunity to stay within her own familiar territory. The only downside is that she would be so far away from Blu. She thanked Eduardo for the opportunity and flew back to Blu's hollow.

---------------

Tiago hadn't flown home with the rest of his family. Instead, he decided to sneak off to meet Stacey, his newfound girlfriend. She was waiting for him in a Brazil nut tree just out of sight of the tribe.

"There you are. I was beginning to think you wouldn't show," Stacey said.

"Nothing could keep me from seeing you. I'm glad mom and dad give us the freedom to roam the territory."

"Me too. What do you want to do today?" Stacey seemed to have an itch to do something fun with Tiago.

"How about we just stay put for a change. I'd like to just have some quiet time with you. Just you and me. No troublemaking today."

Stacey smiled and invited him to sit next to her. He did, and they both just stayed and enjoyed the nature around them.