The War

(15 years ago)

The couple arrived back at their nest early the next morning, having safely hidden their children away from danger. They didn't want to leave their beloved kids behind, but the oncoming conflict was nothing for them to see or experience.

"I hope they'll be safe," Andrea said to George.

"They'll be fine, hon," George replied, taking her into a warming embrace. "Those hollows haven't seen use in years."

"For their sake, I hope you're right." Andrea placed her head on his shoulder and went to sleep.

"Me too," George whispered.

---------------

The morning air was crisp and cool for an April day. A light fog, thin enough to see through, spread throughout the forest, revealing bright rays of sunlight. Birds were just beginning to stir about to perform their morning routines.

It was at this time in the morning that the Owls made their bold attack. They flooded in from everywhere at once, attacking any bird that got in their way. No one Macaw was left an innocent bystander; the Owls' goal was their extinction.

"Oh, no. No, no, no. GEORGE! LOOK!" Andrea was the first to see the battle taking place from outside the grove.

"Stay here, Andrea. I have to help them."

"George, no. Please don't. Those Owls are killing them off as if they were fresh berries to pick."

"I have to, Andrea. If I don't, they may all die. Stay here!" George flew toward the edge of the grove, rounded up the few remaining fighting Macaws, and formed a daring defensive move against the invaders. He struck at the lead owl, or what he thought was the leader.

A giant white feathery barrier suddenly blocked Andrea's view of the battlefield. In a gasp of terror, she realized that the lead Owl stood right in front of her.

"Hello, my dear," spoke the terrifying bird. "I just have one simple question to ask. If you answer truthfully, I let you live. Understood?"

Andrea only nodded her head, scared to speak.

"Good. Where are your children?" he asked as he towered above her head.

"I... Uh... Um... C..."

"Come on. Spit it out."

"I c... Can't... Won't tell... You where they are."

He jumped up, placed his enormous talons around her throat, and pinned her to the ground. "One more chance. Where are they?!"

George appeared spontaneously and ferociously, grabbing the menacing owl by the back of the neck and throwing him against the wall of his hollow. "You will NEVER know where our kids are!"

"I wouldn't bet your grove on that!"

The two birds stood and stared each other down, daring one another to make a move. George squinted; the Owl grinned. After a few minutes they just couldn't stare anymore.

"Time to die, foul villain!" George shouted before he lunged at his nemesis.