Chapter 8

6 Months into traing.
Pick up day

The smell of musk looked in the air, the smell was different from the usual smell of the room. Often times the room had a slightly irony ting to the smell however over the past couple of days that smell seemed to have dissipated almost entirely. I was told once, back when I was still small that the crimson blood that ran through our bodys had an iron smell, the man who said it had such a kind and patient tone when he was talking.

The man in question, was one of my elders back in the warehouse. He must have only been a few years older then me at the time he said it, his almost emerald colored eyes seemed so striking back then that any time my mind wanders back to the warehouse hes always one of the memories that flood back. He was educated slightly unlike the rest of us, his soon to be master valuing proper vocabulary and atleast basic knowledge over the desire for an object. And older man who only yearned for companionship in his later years. whilest it wasn't much knowledge he held it was far beyond what any of the rest of us knew. Blurry memories of myself and a few others huddled around him in a corner listening as he spoke. Teaching small words and numbers. Only to around 15 if I remember right. What draws my mind back to him often Is what he once said to me and a few others, nothing long or fancy but the power the words held gave the few of us something to ponder on.

"Man is such a weak being. We grovel and argue over small things and crave after desires we can never have. Man leaves a wake of destruction in his path as we move on through life. Our 'owners' see themselves as above the rest, their arrogance and egos driving them further from empathy every day. We bleed the same blood, feel the same thump in our chests. Do we not? Why should we be shoved below the arrogance of man?"

Back then and even now I couldnt tell you what he ment, the words being far too advanced for my own comprehension of the matter, however in the back of my mind I think I understood what point he was trying  to get across to us. I remember sitting in my kennel softly reciting it to myself for a long time, some of my words were slurred and I missed a few out all together for the simple fact I couldnt remember who to say them but I always kept it in the back of my mind, hoping one day if I ever received the right amount of teaching then I could say it confidently to those younger to me, why?... because I wish to pass the hope I felt from those words onto those that are younger then me.

Having layed facing the wall of the room for an unknown amount of hours now my brain finally clicked onto why the new musky stench of the room seemed to be so familiar to me, the warehouse's kennels had exactly the same dusty smell. Maybe that's why the room felt so comforting all of a sudden.

The blanket and pillow I awoke with those days ago still lay down here with me, my master coming down once a day with my usual food and a new mix of pills and water to be taken for my steady recovery. My master doesn't talk to me anymore, simply addressing me whenever he brought down my meals. That was until today.

Like usual the door to the room opened and my masters footsteps could be heard coming closer as they echoed on the stairs, unlike every other day the door to the room remained opened, a soft orange light shining in through the door, a hint of pink mixed in with it, it might have been sunrise or sunset from the soft blend of colours. As he approached I shuffled up from my previous position to sit and address my master with the bow of my head, I had gotten much better since the man had come to visit me, my cuts scabbing over and healing nicely, I still felt pain when I walked and the use of my right wrist impossible almost. However the bruises and smaller cuts that littered my skin before had started to fade and dissipate.

"The day is may 12th. Today you have officially been in my training 6 months and in a few hours time you will be passed onto a new master and new life as a fully trained slave, don't take my kindness of the past few weeks for granted, I'm sure as soon as your bought your master will put you straight to hard labour. Today i expect nothing but the best behavior from you do I make myself clear?" His tone seemed lighter then usual, like he was finally riding himself of the burden which was my life. I nodded my head and spoke clearly back with my response, my eyes still downcast at the mans boots "of course master, thank you for the training"