viii. secret handshake

CHAPTER EIGHT
secret handshake
( IRL )
lexi

the first activity was rock climbing and if you've ever met me, you'll know that i have a big fear of heights. i went through some tough shit in the past and let's just say, me and heights don't go well together. hence why i was furiously bitting my fingernails off once i heard that we were doing a rock climbing activity.

i knew that one day in the future i would have to face my greatest fear but i didn't expect that day to come so soon. as the camp leaders began explaining about the activity, i stood at the very far end of the group, which meant that i was going to be the last one to rock climb.

however, i felt a pair of eyes staring at me as i played with the bracelet on my left arm. i looked up and was greeted with a worried smile from joey. "are you okay? you seem distracted. is something wrong?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

"hey joey. i uh got a secret but you have to promise me, no pinky promise me that you won't tell anyone" lexi said, as she held her pinky out for him. joey nodded as he hooked his pinky with hers.

lexi looked around nervously and whispered into joey's ears. "i have a huge huge huge fear of heights" lexi said in one breath. joey widened his eyes, shocked that the girl in front who had a strong exterior was fazed by something so unexpected.

"i'll protect you lex. there's nothing to be worried about. i'll make sure you'll finish the activity without a single scratch" joey said as he held her arm, pulling her closer towards him. the pair slowly made closely towards the group as they listened to the safety briefing.

soon, it was time for the group to try out the activity. which was a pair activity. one person from the duo would be rock climbing while the other person would be holding onto the rope which will be carrying their partner. the aim of the activity is to pull out as many flags which are hanging all over the rock climbing wall.

the only catch is that the shorter members would have to be the ones climbing the wall, which meant that lexi had to face her fear regardless. it was a tricky activity but with great teamwork, it could easily be completed. lexi and joey looked at each other as they both mentally decided that they would be partners.

the first pair was annie and hayden. the duo was energetic due to their love for danger and adventure. they did their secret handshake before heading towards the rock climbing wall. hayden helped annie with her equipment as she'll be the one climbing.

within 3 quick minutes, the pair had managed to complete the activity, while also catching 9 out of the 10 flags available. the next duo was lilia and kenzie. the duo finished within a time of 5 minutes, however kenzie was only able to grab 7 out of the 10 flags. disappointment was evident on her face.

next up was johnny and shawn. the pair of strong and athletic guys northwood guys made the activity seem like an easy game. they finished the activity within a shocking 2 minutes but only managed to catch 9 flags out of 10.

the orlando boy boasted his achievement to his sister, who rolled her eyes in annoyance. next was lauren and sophia. although there was obvious tension amongst the pair, they kept their differences aside and focused on the game. however, their pact didn't last very long. lauren only managed to catch 5 flags, resulting in her making a whole fit at sophia.

while the pair was fighting and the group was distracted, it was finally lexi's and joey's turn. although she had the constant reassurance by joey that everything was going to be "a okay" in his words, she was nervous. but somewhere in her heart, she trusted joey. after a few quick breathing exercises, lexi fixed the equipment on herself with the help of joey and then made her way to the camp leaders.

"finally! a westford and northwood duo! i've been waiting for this" hannah said in excitement.

the duo smiled at each other awkwardly before brushing it off with a chuckle from lexi. lexi slowly began climbing her way up to the rock climbling wall, with determination flowing through her body. she made sure to grab all the flags in her sight while also slowly pacing herself.

joey made sure to yell comforting word throughout the way, which was difficult to hear at first due to the never-ending yelling from lauren, but was easily by lexi who smiled like a fool. after what felt like forever, lexi managed to collect all 10 flags and slowly made her way down the wall.

once she unbuckled herself from the equipment, realisation hit her on what she had just completed. joy and excitement were the only two feelings pumping through her veins. she ran to joey and hugged him tightly.

"joey! i did it! i fucking did it!" she said, happiness laced in her tone.

joey, who was in shock by her actions, chuckled nervously as he returned her hug. the pair quickly pulled away after a voice brought their thoughts back to reality.

"what the fuck?!"

AUTHOR'S CORNER
omg i'm finally back!!!! and this time, i'm staying for good <3 it's been a while since i've written so i may be a little rusty but i'm really proud of this chapter!! to those who are still keeping up with this book, ily guys 🥺.