TWENTY- SEVEN | ATHENA

I track the movement of fireworks blossoming across Ms. Chun's screensaver, which is tilted towards me on her desk. The screen defaulted about five minutes ago, and Patti's mother, who shares her daughter's dumb, wide-eyed expression, has been ranting all the while.

Victor sits to my left, and tries his best to look like he cares what this woman is saying. For once, he's not wearing his work jacket and boots. Instead, it's jeans and a blazer, like he's ready for a job interview. Annie helped him with his striped tie, which clashes with his button down shirt, but he insisted on wearing one. It's the same outfit he wore to drive Charlie and Lizzie to the airport a few days ago. The tweed fabric stretched around his shoulders when he lifted his arms to give his oldest a hug goodbye. Charlie left an address and phone number.

It was more than any of us got the last time.

Patti and her mother sit across from us. The five of us form what Ms. Chun called a 'circle of trust.' So far, it's just been a lot of outraged screeching. "My daughter should not have to feel unsafe going to school." I watch the loose skin of Mrs. Harris' throat expand and contract with the words. "This is unacceptable. What kind of school are you running? You want to allow a violent student who has targeted—"

"Please, Mrs. Harris," Ms. Chun finally cuts her off. She sits on the edge of her desk and holds a coffee mug that says I hate Monday over a photoshopped kitten. "Administration has already decided that Athena will be allowed to return to her classes. We're not here to discuss expulsion. This is a courtesy to you and your daughter." She places a manicured hand on the back of my chair. "Athena understands that her position at this school is contingent upon anger management counselling and community service. She's also agreed to keep her distance from Patti and apologize to the two of you for her actions." She looks down at me expectantly.

I didn't agree to any of this. Victor cut a deal behind my back with Ms. Chun. I mean, staying away from Patti is no great fucking loss to me, but I don't appreciate that this is how Victor decided he wanted to suddenly become involved.

I clear my throat, and sit up in my chair. The first thing that comes to mind is kindly explaining to Mrs. Harris that I was the one who blew chunks all over her roses, just to watch her shrewd face as I say it. I push aside the inclination, however— partially because it's dumb, and partially because I can feel Victor's eyes on the side of my face.

"Patti," I begin, and I'm about to bullshit my way through an apology when I realize Patti's been avoiding looking at me directly this entire time. I attacked her, and she didn't even do anything to me. It hadn't really occurred to me that I could have seriously injured her, that she might be scared. Maybe she doesn't even feel comfortable in a room with me.

"Look," My voice voice drops and my eyes focus on the redhead across from me. "We used to be friends, or at least, we had the same group of friends, but I've been an asshole to you—"

"Language!" Mrs. Harris hisses.

"Athena," Victor warns.

"Okay, sorry," I raise my hands in surrender, and Patti finally looks up at me. "I've been mean to you," I rephrase, "for a long time, and I'm a bad friend. I've been going through some stuff the past few months. It's not an excuse, but I took it out on you, and I'm sorry for that. You know, girl hate isn't a good look, and I'm a bully. It's true. Like, Ella and I aren't really friends anymore, and I've been confused and angry, and I basically attacked you because of a guy, which is so stupid. I can't even believe how dumb that is. Like, I know that I've never liked you—"

"Athena," Ms. Chun cuts into my rambling.

I clarify, "I just mean that you don't like me either. I'm okay with that, you know? We can just not like each other, like, separately," I try to illustrate with my hands, but it just looks like they're flopping around in the air. "Anyways, I'm sorry, and there's absolutely no excuse for any of my behaviour. I'm not usually a violent person."