25. Die trying

Derek Paine

Derek Paine

   "Apparently my father is King leader.."

   I look at her tear stained face and my eyes soften. "I know doll." All the higher ups know who our king is, it's just common knowledge. It's also why He wasn't put away after the discovery that he mistreats his children.

   "And there's talk of dethroning him." She says with an emotionless face.

   "There's been talk like that for years Is. why are you worried about it now?"

Her hazel eyes meet mine and she sniffles a bit. "Because they want me."

My stomach drops. "What do you mean they want you?" I can feel my hands ball into fists.

"They want me to take the throne, which means I have to kill my father. Which means I might just die trying." I can't help myself as my body launches its self off the bed, our hands ripped apart.

"Like hell Issa!" She jumps and immediately, I regret yelling at her. "I'm sorry... it's just. It's just that you don't have to go for the throne Is. it's just talk."

"Liam made it pretty clear that I don't have a choice. This is happening." I look at the wall angrily. "Even if it wasn't.." I look at her again, my brows furrowed. "If my father gets word of this.. h-he'll..-"

"No." I sit next to her again, grabbing her hands and holding them tightly. "Nothing is going to happen to you."

She looks at me with tears in her eyes. "My father-"

"I will die before I let him lay a hand anywhere near you." Emotion overcomes me and I find myself holding her face between my hands. I hold her gently as if to not break her, because for the first time since I met her, she looks fragile and broken. "I will kill him if he even ever looks at you the wrong way Clarissa Danielle Tate."

She sniffles and finally looks me in the eye. "How did you know my middle name?" She asks and I chuckle tiredly.

"From the moment I first saw you, I knew I had to know you. And since we met I have been in love with you so when we got to the academy, I told your brother about my feelings for you and that I wanted to know you. He didn't like it much but he told me one thing. Your middle name." She closes her eyes and leans forward, her forehead touching mine.

   I enjoy the moment until her eyes suddenly snap open. "What did you say?" I think for a moment and freeze. Oh shit.