chapter 5

Carter's POV 

It was almost midnight but I still couldn't sleep. I had tried smoking a little, which usually helped but for some reason, it wasn't working tonight. All I could think about was Alyssa. 

Her beautiful emerald green eyes. The way her hair fell down her back. Her voice, which was the most beautiful sound in the entire world. The way that she looked down when she was nervous. Or when she would smile to herself. I loved that she had no idea how beautiful she was. 

But I tried to shake these thoughts away. It was so wrong. It's not like she had any kind of feelings about me, or thought about me in the way that I was thinking about her. She was consumed in her relationship with Ryan. My cousin. 

Plus, even if that weren't the case, she liked boys. And clearly, I'm not a boy. 

This never happened to me. Ever. I was so confused by how a few conversations could ignite a spark in me that I couldn't put out. But I had to ignore it. 

I thought about how I could get over it. I considered hitting up one of the girls near me to come over and spend the night. But I felt bad considering that I was at my aunt's house and I didn't want to take the chance of her seeing that. 

My whole family knew that I liked girls. It had been obvious my entire life. I had never really had to come out, they just all knew I was gay. 

It was really nice having a family who didn't care. They didn't make a big deal out of it. Nobody ever talked about supporting me or anything, but I would often get asked if there were any girls in my life. They just knew I liked girls, accepted that and moved on with their lives. 

I was never one to make a big deal out of anything, so I was grateful that nobody else felt the need to either. 

I quickly realized that my entire house was pretty much empty, and I could drive over there, spend time with a girl and then make it back before anybody noticed.

I decided to message this girl Annabelle, who I knew would say yes to me whenever. 

Carter: hey 

Annabelle: heyyy baby, what's up? I haven't heard from you in awhile 

Carter: yeah sorry I've been busy lately, wyd? 

Annabelle: nothing much just watching a movie wbu? 

Carter: same, do you wanna come over? 

Annabelle: I was hoping you would ask, be there in 20 :) 

And just like that, I was about to hook up with Annabelle. 

I got up to leave the house. But when I walked passed Alyssa's room, it sounded like she was crying. 

Against my better judgment, I decided to go in there. I knocked once and opened the door slightly. 

In the dark, I could barely make out the silhouette of Alyssa. She was lying in bed facing the door, with tears streaming down her face. 

"Hey" I whispered. 

"Hi" she replied. 

"What's wrong?" I questioned. 

"No, nothing, its really not a big deal," she said softly. I wasn't sure who she was trying to convince; me or herself. 

"Doesn't look like nothing" was all I said. I walked to the other side of the bed and moved closer to Alyssa. 

"Come here," I said softly. She sat up and then laid back into me. I pulled her into my chest. My whole body started to heat up by the realization that I was holding Alyssa Brenden.