Chapter 9; The SECOND part of the quest is always the hardest

"OW! BLOODY HECK!"

"That's not how earth magic works, you idiot!"

Dawn came that morning with the singing of birds, the rush of a warm Southern Wind, and the yelling of Ajay as he was pelted in the face by yet another small stone.

If THAT doesn't wake one up, nothing will.

Ajay rubbed his forehead, "Can't we try another element? Something softer perhaps?"

Jareth rolled his one good eye. "We could try water but their isn't a brook or stream around here. But we have dirt and rocks. PLENTY of rocks."

"So I've noticed!"

As it turned out, mastering even the most basic of magic was proving to be rather difficult. Ajay had been trying nearly all morning to shatter stones, but they seemed to have other plans in mind; namely, hitting him in the face.

"You have to feel it in here!" Jareth poked him roughly in the chest, "Feel the power flowing through you, let the energy spring from your fingertips."

Blimey, next he would be telling him to 'use the Force'.

They resumed their position and Ajay focused on the rock. Magic. He had to sumon magic. But magic didn't exist. You couldn't summon things that weren't real. He did not believe in magic.

Bracing himself, he saw Jareth throw the rock again. This time it hit him in the shoulder, sending a sharp pain stabbing through him. He hissed, rubbing the spot where it had bounced off his body. He couldn't do this! He did not have magic. He was ordinary, human, and utterly BORING.

Even Jareth seemed to be getting frustrated, "Perhaps we'll take a rest for now."

Ajay nodded, his shoulders slumping. His whole body ached from sleeping on the cold, hard ground and he was tired and irritated from lack of rest.

Sitting down with the others, he listened in as they made plans for the route they would take on their quest, naming unfamiliar lands and kingdoms.

"To continue East would lead us straight through the Darkling woods," Grimble said, puffing on his pipe.

Emmer answered him. "And yet it is the shortest way."

"It will be dangerous and our duty is to protect the Chosen One at any cost. If that means taking a longer way then I say we ought to take it."

"There is no safe way; would you rather we go around? Through the Lands of the Dead? Or a valley filled with trolls? The road through the Wood is our best option."

"So you would chance a horde of Dark Elves over a troll or two?" Grimble shouted incredulously.

"Dark elves are unpredictable, yes, but they will not always fight. Trolls will, and we cannot risk facing such a powerful foe."

Thistle raised her hand, "Can I make a suggestion--"

"Absolutely not!" Emmer and Grimble huffed together.

Ajay sighed. At ths rate, he'd never get home. Now, what would a reasonable adult do in this situation? Pick a route with sure battles or unpredictable ones?

"I say we choose the Wood." he said boldly.

"You know not of what you speak." Grimble replied darkly. "The Woods are filled with many dangers--"

"Yet not as many as the lands surrounding them." Emmer butted in. "It's settled then; the Chosen One has spoken. We will go through the forest."

Both Grimble and Ajay protested loudly at that; Grimble for obvious reasons and Ajay because he didn't want the fate of the enire party on HIS shoulders. But Emmer could not be argued with and once they had packed up camp, they started out on the path again. And it was only then that Ajay realized that Jareth never had a say in the arguement.