Chapter 22;Making plans.

When the weather beyond the forest was fit for traveling and the days were filled with the warm breath of summer with only a slight bite of autumn's chill, Grimble declared that it was time that Ajay set off once more.

In truth, Ajay was not yet ready for the task that now loomed before him; it preyed upon his mind, slowly eating away at his soul till he was forced to do something reckless.

Such as make conversation with another person for more than five minutes.

And to be quite honest, he simply wanted to stay in the elven forest where it was safe and where he could play games with Thistle or have long, summer-eve visits with Dagon and Jareth. But really, it didn't matter what he wanted; Grimble was determined to boot Ajay out of the forest whether he liked it or not. Thus, within a week they were ready to go, and Grimble gathered them all together one night to discuss plans.

"Am I allowed to listen too?" Thistle piped up, bouncing up and down.

Grimble sighed, "I suppose so--"

He was cut off as the fae girl began jumping around excitedly, cheering, "Hurrah!" over and over until he yelled at her to stop or else she was not allowed on the rest of the quest.

She shut up after that.

"Now," Grimble began, "The reason I have gathered you all here is--"

"I have a question!" Jareth shouted.

The Spell Master's bushy brows met together in a frown, a sight that made Ajay nearly laugh. "Yes, yes." the old man replied irritably, "What is it?"

"Is Dagon allowed to hear this? He IS the enemy after all."

Looking over at the goblin, Ajay watched as Dagon put a pale hand to his chest in mockingly offended way and gasped, "Why Jareth, after all this time we have spent together and you don't consider me a friend?"

The Nightling snorted, "Please, I take you on walks through the woods and only barely tolerate you. We are far from companions."

"Well, perhaps we can fix that." Dagon's grin was teasing.

Grimble sighed, "Gods give me strength. Yes, I suppose Dagon can stay, seeing as this involves him as well. Now, will you all please stop interrupting or will I have to cast a silencing spell?"

No one answered, which seemed to be the correct response.

Nodding, the Spell Master continued, "Yes, well, I believe now is the best time to once again begin our quest to defeat the goblin lord--"

"Goblin king." Dagon corrected, earning a 'shush' from Jareth.

"-- and I do believe Ajay is ready magically. Mentally I am not as sure of..." Grimble trailed off, then shook his head and continued, "Though there is a long road ahead of you, I have selected a rout that is the fastest way to the goblin kingdom. Though it is slightly more dangerous." He then drew out a map, laying it near the lantern on the table that cast the weathered paper in a soft, golden glow, and pointed out the route they would be taking. 

Thankfully, Ajay did not see any signs of a bone forest, which was nice, so that was one thing to look forward to.

"Now, once you set off in the morning, I will begin gathering armies--"

"Wait." Ajay interrupted, panic flaring in his chest. "You're not coming with us?"

Grimble shook his head, "Nay, lad.  I must remain behind. For while you journey onward I will collect armies to join you once you have reached the former Nightling Kingdom. The elven king shall send word to the Southern elves of the Moors and I shall gather the armies of the Eastern Woodland elves and the help of the Nightlings that are scattered throughout Adoras."