Chapter 16; Sleeping in trees is DEFINITELY a lot nicer than it sounds.

By the time the sun sank below the horizon,  the companions had reached the borders of the elven forest, each one of them laden with a heavy exhaustion.

For the second time since entering Adoras, Ajay missed many of the things he had taken for granted in his world. It felt like ages since he'd had a shower, he was tired of using the nearest available shrub as a bathroom, and he longed for a cozy bed.

 But, possibly the worst of all, he hadn't read anything in days. 

And though the journey had been more difficult than Ajay would have liked, the moment the companions stepped beneath the moss-covered branches of the elven forest, it seemed as though a heavy burden were lifted off their shoulders. 

The elves welcomed them with open arms--unlike the dark elves, who had done so with open jaws-- and escorted them through a forest filled with wonders that Ajay could not help but gape at. 

It was as if winter had completely vanished and spring had wrapped her warm arms around them, cloaking everything in rich hues of emerald green and warm, chocolate brown. It was an enchanted forest, no doubt. The trees were embellished with moss and vines with flowers that glowed with a blue light. 

Ajay saw grand pavilions and stairs leading up to the very top branches of the great trees. Elegant arches stretched over the winding path here and there and glass lanterns filled with the light of a thousand fireflies, were strung from tree to tree. He could see elves, tall, graceful, and filled with a pure and innocent joy leaping about in the center of the forest, dancing. 

They were beautiful.

Tearing his eyes away, Ajay focused on the stone path before him, hearing the music slowly fade into the distance. The elves leading them took the companions to what Ajay could only describe as a guest house--it was more of a house with no walls, actually-- and told them to rest and that they could see the Elven King in the morning.

Once they had left, Ajay set his things down and inspected their living quarters a bit more closely. It wasn't much for privacy, that was for certain. There were only four ivory pillars holding up a delicate roof. From the pillars hung hammocks made of a material that Ajay was sure clouds felt like--that is, how they looked like they should feel; soft and fluffy and not cold and wet...much like ACTUAL clouds. Either way, it was better than sleeping on the ground.

"Well, this is splendid, simply splendid!" Grimble said, smiling at the sight of the hammocks, "It appears as though the elves are civilized enough NOT to sleep on the ground."

"So we are..." Emmer replied drily.

Ajay on the other hand, was at the moment more concerned about his present state of personal hygeine. "There wouldn't happen to be any place to shower, would there?" he asked.

Thistle was the only one who answered him. "What is a 'shower'? Is it a fruit of some kind? Or a rain shower? You might have to wait a bit for one of those."

Ajay sighed; he wouldn't be having to deal with this right now if he had just stayed home and had never gone to the lake in the first place. "No... I mean somewhere to get clean."

"A clean what?"

"Thistle!" Emmer barked, "Leave the poor boy alone." the elf then turned to Jareth, "There are hot springs--"

"Thank goodness..."

"--Not far from here." Emmer gave him an amused look. "Jareth can show you the way."

Jareth did not look happy about that prospect but when Emmer gave him a rather scary look, he complied, leading Ajay away from the guest house and into the forest.