The Four Nymphs of the Seasons

          In Greece there is a story that the four seasons of the year are created by four magical nymphs. They say that they are a family but no one knows the real truth. No one even knows what the four nymphs of the seasons look like. Nor has anyone met them, except one little girl.

          This little girl was named Helena and she lived deep in the countryside with her stepmother and stepsister Vanessa. Helena's real mother died when she was only a baby and her father remarried sometime after her death. Four years later though Helena's father died too. Helena's stepmother and stepsister was the only family she had left, even though they weren't her real family.

          Helena was a good little girl and did whatever she could to help around the house but her kindness was never appreciated. Her stepmother and stepsister were very lazy and very unkind. They made Helena do all the housework without ever lifting a finger to help. But Helena never complained and did whatever she was told to do. Although sometimes she wished she received love from her stepfamily, she never got any.

          One day, in the middle of winter, it was Vanessa's birthday and a big party was planned. Of course Helena had to get everything ready for the party, while Vanessa and her mother made themselves look pretty. Soon Vanessa's party guests had arrived. They were all children her age from the village and brought many wonderful gifts. But after presenting their gifts to Vanessa they all gathered round and began to talk to Helena. Helena was popular with everyone in the village because of her good nature while Vanessa was unpopular because of her bad nature.

          Vanessa was very jealous of Helena getting all the attention and complained to her mother. The stepmother didn't like Helena being more popular than her own daughter either.

          "Don't worry darling" she said "I think I know how we can get rid of Helena". She called Helena over. "Helena I want you to go into the forest and pick poppies, peaches and apples for your sister's birthday".

          "But there aren't any poppies, peaches or apples growing in the middle of winter mother" said Helena.

          "No excuses young lady!" shouted the stepmother "until you find poppies, peaches and apples you are not to come back into this house". The stepmother knew that poppies, peaches and apples didn't grow in winter; this was her wicked plan of getting rid of Helena.

          So Helena was sent out into the cold harsh winter, with three baskets, to search for poppies, peaches and apples for her sister. Helena searched and searched, but she could not find any poppies, peaches or apples anywhere. It was a cruel thing to do; sending a child out into the cold to find something that wasn't there. At last Helena gave up and collapsed in the snow. It was useless to continue searching. All she could do now was cry and think of home.

          Suddenly Helena saw a cottage, with lights on and smoke coming from the chimney. Helena realized that someone was living there. With her remaining strength Helena walked up to the cottage and knocked on the door.