The Gang

I trudge. Head bowed, shoulders curled inwards. Shielding myself from the rain and cold of London's winter. The only good thing about the winter holidays nowadays is the fact that there's no school. Five years ago, I'd be meeting up with my best friends at the arcade or the cinema every single day. But now, all of that has changed. I huff a sigh that surrounds my head in smoky tendrils, almost like smoke. Staring resolutely at the dull grey pavement spattered with old chewing gum, I speed up to a brisk pace. I have to hurry or mum would fall asleep again. By the time I reach the corner, I'm practically sprinting. I barely have time to register a figure standing there before I crash into them and fall to the ground.

"Oi, mate, what's yer problem?"

I groan inwardly and stand up and lift my head to look into the triumphant eyes of the notorious local gang leader. Though only 23, he has multiple tattoos and piercings, and looks as intimidating as a prison warden. Only, he'd be the one behind bars. It's common knowledge that all of the attacks in the area were carried out on his orders. There's a rumour that he's a dealer, too. He certainly looks it, and reeks of something I can't quite place. I wrinkle my nose in disgust. Probably weed.

" 'Ey, mate, listen to me when I'm talking to ya," I nod dumbly. What more can I do? I just need to get past Josh J quickly, and get home. Just, I mock myself.

"All right, since you're only a little titch I'll let you off this time. But don't do anythin' else disrespeckful, hear me?" I nod again. "Use your words, mate,"

"Yes, Josh J."

"Good lad, or I'll be visitin' yer house one of these nights. Wouldn't want that, eh? Yer mum, bonkers, ain't she? How would she react if she found out that her little boy was gettin' involved with the gangs on the streets?"

I start to edge away, back up towards the graffitied wall behind me. I take a quick glance at the corner shop, about a hundred metres away. I could make it. I'm a fast runner.

"Oi, mate, where d'ya think you're going?" Dammit, one of his henchmen is onto me. My eyes widen and I shake my head wildly.

"You think you can do a runner on us? We run the streets, nothin' gets past us,"

I mentally curse myself for leaving the house so late at night when it was so dangerous out on the streets. If anything happens to me, what would happen to mum? Nothing good, that's for sure. They'd send her off to some psycho place. She'd never survive. I changed tactic.

"Look, guys, I'm really sorry. But can you please let me go? Just this once?" I did slight puppy eyes at them so they'd still feel influenced by them but it's not obvious. The guy's eyes softened, taking in my pathetic state.

"Hey, big J, man..." he turns slightly. My chance. I run all the way home without looking back. I hear shouts behind me but stay focused, dodging cars and lamp posts. Finally I get inside and lean against my door, panting. Hands drum on it, demanding voices raised, but they fade away after a moment. I stay on guard, tensed. I know them too well.

Without warning, three bodies crash into the door. I'm barely holding them all back, but luckily they leave, cursing and shouting, to drown themselves in booze. I sag down, sliding down the door into a crouching position. I'm safe. For now.