Chapter Fifteen

For two days, Noelle locked herself in her room and watched Jersey Shore to alleviate this pain that seemed to coarse through her body. The bright glow of the television screen reflected itself on her face as she watched Ronnie and Sammy fight in the Shore House for what seemed like the thousandth time. Ronnie wrecked everything that Sammy owned without blinking. Noelle snuggled deeper into her comforter as she mindlessly watched the episode. Then she heard a soft tap on her door. It opened and a stream of light blinded her. She saw the silhouette of her very pregnant step-mother. Lydia had slices of mango wrapped in a paper towel and offered some to Noelle.

Noelle rolled away from the offering. 

"Noe, you need to eat." She sighed and looked away for a moment, "A boy that can hurt you like this has no place in your heart." She said as she laid a kiss on her forehead. But, Noelle stayed silent."The school called but, I told them you still had the Flu."

Lydia struggled to stand up, she left the fruit on her nightstand and waddled to her door, "We're making your favorite for dinner. Fettuccine Alfredo! Come eat with us tonight, hun." She practically pleaded. But, Noelle didn't say anything. She softly closed the door. Noelle could hear her shuffle away. 

Noelle felt the forceful vibration of her phone beneath her thigh. She looked at the screen.

Carson: Can we talk? 

+106 other notifications

59 missed calls from Carson

1 Voicemail

She rolled her eyes and silenced her phone and threw it on the carpeted floor.

***

"Dawg, give her some time." Tyler said as they packed up at the end of practice. Carson checked his phone to see if she replied again. She didn't.

"What? I am giving her time." He mumbled as he sent another text to Noelle. 

"She'll come to you. Cuz she has every right to be upset." Tyler said as he clasped a hand on Carson's shoulder pad, "Imma be real with you dawg, you're not on the receiving end of the shit you say. That shit hurts and I'm speaking from experience."

"I got that and I apologized." Carson said as he looked down at his phone again.

"And dude, I forgave you. But, you don't really forget that shit."

"But, you know I didn't mean it."

"Yeah, but you still said it. How are we supposed to know if you mean or don't mean it this time?" Tyler said as he started to walk towards the locker room. "What value do your words have if you constantly 'don't mean them?'" 

"Ty, I didn't know you felt that way." Carson said softly. Tyler scratched the back of his neck and let his helmet dangle in his hand.

"You never asked." Tyler mumbled as he walked towards the locker room. He looked longingly at his friend retreating figure. Tyler was always ready to pick up Carson whenever he was down but, Carson never really thought to do the same for him. 

"Shit." Carson ran his hands through his hair. Everything seemed to be going to shit and it was because of him.

***

He pulled up to her driveway and shut off his truck. Carson hopped out of his truck and stood below her window. Her light was off but he could see the glow of her TV from the driveway. He hopped out of his truck and found small pebbles and threw them against her window sill. He knew how corny this looked: 

boy meets girl

boy really likes girl

boy fucks it up