Chapter Sixteen

Two Weeks Later: Day of Regionals

There were banners all over the schools halls and everyone dressed in their vibrant school colors but since that night in front of Noelle's house, it seemed like both of their moods shifted. Noelle shoved her books into her locker as she headed to her first period. She thought the closure she got from Carson would make her feel better but it made her feel worse: What if he did something stupid because of her? What if he really needs her and she just 'abandoned' him? Noelle knew that deep down splitting ways was best for both of them, right?

Noelle was about to enter her classroom when Carson suddenly halted in front of her accidentally. They kinda stared awkwardly at each other before Noelle shifted her eyes to the floor and briskly walked into her classroom. Carson thought she still looked as beautiful as ever. But, God was he still fucking angry and hurt that she didn't forgive him! He just wanted to grasp her shoulders and shake her body until she knew whole-heartedly that he only wanted her. But, at the same time, he wanted nothing more than to kiss her gently on the corners of her lips and apologize for everything he has ever done to hurt her as well as apologize for future pain he might cause. Noelle was so special to him. He hasn't touched a drink in just about two weeks. And that's gotta mean something, right? He thought as he watched her from the entrance of the classroom that wasn't his. He longed to touch her like she was a precious jewel. But, he sighed and moved on to his own classroom.

The school day seemed to flash before their eyes and the next thing Noelle knows is that she's headed towards the student parking lot to wait for Margo. When Carson caught up to her, "Noelle!" He cleared his throat nervously as she turned to face him. "Uh...I can give you a ride...if you need one." He looked down into her eyes as he rubbed his hand along the back of his neck. Noelle thought about it sincerely, Margo had a doctor's appointment and probably would be here for another 30 minutes. 

"Uh sure." She answered and he smiled a little bit as they walked to his truck. The last time she was in his truck, he told her to get the fuck out of it. The memories kind of overwhelmed her however she pushed down her anxiety as she climbed into the front seat. 

Carson had no idea as to why he offered a ride. A small portion of himself hated her for making him vulnerable but an even larger portion of himself wanted her be around him as much as possible even if he never got to touch or kiss her ever again. Being with her was enough for now. 

As Carson and Noelle drove in a thick silence, Carson opened his mouth and asked, "So, are you going to the game tonight?"

Noelle was busy zoning out as she stared at the moving trees, "Um, football isn't really my thing."

"What? You wouldn't even go for me?"

"And watch my sort-of-ex-boyfriend run along a field? Nah I'm good."

Carson pulled up into Noelle's driveway and turned towards her, "Well, if you change your mind, I reserved tickets for you and your family."

"Thanks but I don't think we're gonna go. Good Luck though." Noelle said as she hopped out his truck and slung her backpack on her back. 

Carson sighed, why was she so difficult sometimes? He wanted nothing more than to see her among the crowd cheering him on tonight. He knew this game was so important, not only was his last season ending soon, but scouts were going to be there. But, his head was so scrambled because of Noelle. Normally, the energy of the crowd fueled his adrenaline but if he just saw her in an empty stand cheering for him, he'd get the same reaction. 

On Carson's drive back home he felt the brief vibration of his phone in his pocket. He reached for his phone and saw the notification.

Daisy: Hey, we need to talk.