6.'Lockhart's idea of a morale-booster'

February 1993, The Great Hall

Perci entered the Great Hall still wondering if she had come to the right place seeing the lurid pink flowers. She continued her way to the Gryffindor table horrified by the confetti falling from the sky and the same lurid pink flowers here and there. It looked like someone had tried remake the Aphrodite cabin.

She sat at her usual place in between the twins, in front of the Golden trio.

"Never once in my life, I thought I would be living this nightmare," she said dead serious while the twins bobbed their heads up and down.

"Come on Perci, this is awesome!" said Hermione super excited.

Perci and the twins whipped their heads toward her looking as if she had murdered their puppy.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You guys are overreacting."

"Holy Hades, Hermione! You've-" Perci started.

"-officially lost-"

"-your mind!"

Harry who had been watching this whole thing decided to voice his question atlast. "What is going on?"

Ron pointed to the teachers' table, apparently too disgusted to speak. There was Lockhart smiling widely wearing lurid pink robes to match the decorations, waving his hand for attention. The teachers either side of him were stony faced. He could see a muscle going in McGonagall's face and Snape looked like he was just fed a large beaker of skele-gro.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards!" To which the troublemaker trio gave eye rolls."Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all - and it doesn't end here!"

"Yay! That's awesome!" Perci said while looking like she was disgusted and bored out of her mind.

Lockhart clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly-looking dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs, however. Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps.

"My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart.

"Oh! The cupids will kill Lockhart," Percy muttered.

"They will be roving around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion!"

"Oh! Thank you Professor Lockhart for your world's worst idea that will result in our deaths by Snape force feeding poison to you but however we would all be happy to stay alive!" Perci was smiling like she really meant it. Few people cracked up hearing this.

Lockhart wasn't finished. "And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"

"Ofcouse Professor Lockhart, if a vampire shows up in our face, we'll just enchant it! A brilliant idea! You must put that in your very helpful book of yours!" was Percy's sarcastic response.

Few people cracked up again. Okay, a lot of people laughed. A few teachers smiled too hearing her. Even Snape had a smile which disappeared as  quickly as it had come. Either Lockhart didn't hear it or care it.

The day was painfully slow for some (like Perci) and for some it was amazing like a dream come true (like Hermione). The 'cupids' were keep on interrupting the classes in the name of delivering letters which led the teachers mad. It was a quite eventful day.