Prologue

"Come on!" a boy's voice exclaims, breaking me from my thoughts. I turn around and face him with a mischievous grin across my face. The boy's eyes widen and he turns to run, but I'm faster. I run up to him, smacking on the back of his head with my make-believe lightsaber.

"Ow!" the boy exclaims.

"Oh, come on, Ben, I barely touched you!" I shoot back. "You just weren't fast enough." A grin curls my lips and he rolls his hazel eyes. I lift up the lightsaber again and this time, Ben is in time to hold up his own. The two blades smack against one another and the two of us are caught up in a heated battle until he manages to land a hit in my face. I hold my hand on my cheek and feel my eyes tear up.

"Raven? Raven, I'm sorry! Here, you can hit me back! Please don't tell Mom!" he tells me but I'm already running back to our house.

"Mom!" I exclaim, entering the living room where I find my mother behind a desk, going over some ancient-looking books.

"Raven! What happened?" she asks, kneeling down.

"Ben hit me!" I tell her, hot tears streaming down my face.

"Oh, come here. Let me take a look." She carefully pries my hand from my reddened cheek. "It's not bad. Here, let's cool it." She takes my hand in hers and brings me to the kitchen with her where she takes a cold pack of food which she then holds to my face. "Were you two playing outside again?" she asks, sitting me down on the counter.

I nod. "We were playing Jedi but he hit me with his lightsaber," I tell her, pouting lightly.

"Mom?" a timid voice speaks up and I turn my head to find Ben standing in the doorway.

"Ben, did you hit your sister?" Mom asks him, putting her hands on her hips.

"I didn't mean to! We were just playing!" he instantly defends himself.

"I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose, but I'd appreciate it if you said sorry to her," Mom tells him.

He nods. "I'm sorry, Raven. I didn't mean to hit you," he says, dragging his foot over the floor nervously.

"And what do we say to that, Raven?" she asks me.

"Thank you," I mumble.

"Good girl," she says softly, taking the frozen food off my face. "That looks better. How does it feel?"

"Alright," I say.

"Want to go back to playing?" she asks.

I shake my head. "I'm gonna see if Poe is home." I hop off the counter, giving my mother a short hug before departing from our house. I travel down the street and end up in front of the Dameron household.

I knock the door twice and wait until a middle-aged woman opens the door. "Raven, how nice to see you!" she says, a kind smile on her face.

"Hi, Mrs Dameron. Is Poe home?" I ask.

"No, he's not, honey. He's with his dad at the hangar, working on the X-Wing," she says while drying her hands on a towel.

"Okay, thank you!" I say, hopping down the steps of their porch. I continue my walk until I've reached the hangars. I instantly spot my best friend working on his family's X-Wing with his dad. "Poe!" I call and he turns around. He smiles as soon as he sees me.

Poe Dameron has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. Even though he is five years older than me, he loves hanging out with me and my brother.

He comes up to me, wiping his greasy hands on his pants. "Hey, Shortie. What are you doing out here?" he asks.

"Don't call me that," I pout. "I wanted to ask if you're free so we can do something fun."