conversations and blood, 6

It had been three days since they learned about the bond Hope accidental created with Josie. Three very long days of no communication between them. Hope would see Josie in the halls and would smile, but she kept her promise to keep her distance and give Josie time to process.

Three monsters had come and been defeated, but they hadn't made any headway on shutting down Malivore for good. Marcel had traveled to Taiwan to investigate a possible second pit location. He had traced the company known as The Triad to several locations around the world. Some of which were already shut down. They had yet to hear from him.

Freya and Keelin had reluctantly returned to New Orleans. It had been over a week since they'd seen their daughter and were missing her immensely. They planned to return, but until then, Rebekah was due to arrive to take their places.

Hope was sitting on the front steps waiting for her aunt to arrive. Penelope had been sitting with her, but it was past curfew on a school night. Not that that had stopped her, but Caroline caught her and sent her off to bed.

Hope stood when a black limo pulled up to the school. The driver got out and ran to open the door for Rebekah, who stepped out of the car gracefully. "Hello darling," she said with a smile on her lips. She pulled Hope into a big hug, lifting her niece off the ground, then put her back with a kiss on her cheek.

She turned to the driver and told him to take her things inside, then he was free to leave. She wrapped her arm around Hope's shoulders, then they walked into the school together. "So, I hear you went and proposed to a girl."

Hope blushed. "I'd hardly call it a proposal."

"Then what would you call it darling," Rebekah asked.

"Asking her to go steady," Hope said unsurely.

Rebekah laughed. "Come then, I want to hear all about this girl, but first I'm parched. I hope Alaric keeps decent blood here."

They made their way to the kitchen, where Hope pulled out a blood bag for her aunt. "I don't think you're going to like it."

Rebekah took a sip and grimaced. "Animal blood. Ghastly. Ugh. I suppose it'll have to do for now. I don't think Alaric will be pleased if I start eating the students due to starvation since I stupidly went and promised not to eat the locals."

Hope chuckled, "I think you're right. It took Auntie Freya, Aunt Keelin, and Caroline to convince him to let you come."

Rebekah looked surprised. "Caroline vouched for me, did she? Is hell freezing over?"

Hope laughed. Growing up she had talked to Rebekah the most out of her aunts and uncles next to Freya of course, but Freya had the advantage of physically being in the same space as her. Since her father had sacrificed himself, Rebekah had made it a habit to always be home when Hope was, giving them lots of time to bond. Freya, who had years with Hope, always made sure Rebekah got plenty of one on one time with her.

Rebekah took a mug from the cupboard and emptied the bag into it, then heated the blood up. "So," she said, then took a hesitant sip. "Tell me all about this girl who's captured your heart."

"Her name is Josie," Hope said, and watch her aunt in amusement.

Rebekah's eye widened, "As in Josie Saltzman. One-half of the Saltzman twins. The daughters to the very man who despised your father, for good reason, with a passion and the woman who would very much like to see me daggered in a box."

"Maybe," Hope said.

Rebekah laughed. "You know your father was madly in love with Caroline. He swore she would be his. It was quite adorable, in a sickening kind of way. I can't tell if this is about irony or poetic justice."