happy birthday hope, 18

Hope and Josie stood just inside the forest so no one could see their naked bodies. It had been a day since the Malivore/Triad battle. They spent most of the day with being poked and prodded by Elena and Keelin, while being questioned endlessly by Caroline, Freya, and Alaric. In between the questions there were theories being thrown around, all of which seemed less plausible then the one before.

Finally, Hope couldn't take it anymore and gently pulled Josie out of the room when none of the adults were looking.

"Are you ready?" Hope asked gently.

"No," Josie whimpered. The memory of the pain she endured the night before still fresh in her mind.

"It'll only hurt for a few minutes. Then we can run free. You'll love it."

Josie looked at Hope with a soft smile. "I know I will, because you'll be there."

Hope smile widely then shifted. She howled into the air happily and looked up to her mate. "Just breathe and allow the change to happen. Close your eyes and imagine yourself as a wolf. Allow your wolf to take over. Allow her to break free."

Josie nodded her head and took a noticeably deep breath and then closed her eyes. She whimpered as her bones began to break but let Hope's soothing voice fill her mind with comforting words, easing her through the shift.

A few minutes later Josie stood in front of Hope. She shook her head as she tried to ease out the lingering pain. "How long until it doesn't hurt anymore?"

"It took a couple of months of me changing regularly before it stopped hurting so bad," Hope answered.

Josie shrieked.

"The more you shift the quicker the pain will go away," Hope said. "Come on. Let's run." She turned away from Josie and took off as fast as she could while saying, "Catch me if you can." She bolted through the trees as fast as she could, knowing that Josie was hot on her heals. She was eager to share this side of being a wolf with Josie and was happy that she finally had someone to share this with. She just hoped that Josie enjoyed being a wolf just as much as she did. She would never be able to forgive herself for creating the bond if Josie hated it.

Josie was fast but she wasn't quite as fast as Hope. Once Hope realized this, she turned suddenly and pounced on Josie, sending them rolling down a small hill. She could hear Josie's laughter through their bond, which caused Hope to relax a little, happy that her mate was enjoying herself.

She nipped at Josie's tail and then ran back up the hill towards the open field. Josie seemed to be just a little faster than before, but she only ever was able to nip at Hope's tail. Hope stopped once she reached the center of the field.

Josie took the opportunity to tackle her to the ground, pinning her beneath her paws. She raised her head and let out a loud howl, then licked Hope's snout. "I love you."

Hope flipped them over and said, "I love you too."

Josie looked past Hope's head to stared at the waning moon, which still looked full. She looked into Hope's yellow eyes. "I always wondered what it's like to be a wolf. I always thought it would suck, being beholden to the moon, to a beast inside, but this is nice. I feel... free and powerful. Like nothing can touch me."

Hope laid down next to Josie, who turned to face her. "I was worried you wouldn't like this."

"I know. Your fear has been bleeding through our bond all day."

"I'm sorry," Hope instantly said.

"Don't be. You can't help the way you feel." She looked up at the moon again. "It looks different. Sharper and brighter. I can feel it calling to me. Like it's begging me to run."