the bond, 16

Josie was nervous.

It was the night before they were expected to head to Georgia and she was waiting in the mill for Hope to arrive. All of the candles they had both brought up were lit, some were floating, while others were sitting in safe spots around their makeshift bed. Gone was her usual school outfit, replaced with a silky black dress that went down to her mid-thigh. Sitting next to her was the book Penelope found that held the only information about the bond anyone had been able to find.

She had read and reread the passage on the bond over and over again all week long, mulling over a decision that she was positive she was ready to make. Thanks to the shared dream she and Hope had the night before, the only thing that was holding her back was gone.

Josie's anxiety rose into a near panic when she heard Hope on the steps. This was it. She had been practicing all afternoon how she was going to say it.

Hope walked around the corner with a soft smile on her lips, and all the anxiety just melted away. A single smile from the woman she loved and nothing else mattered. It was an amazing and intoxicating feeling.

Hope dropped the bag she was carrying and knelt down to give Josie as kiss, before sitting next to her. "So, what has you so anxious? It's been bleeding through our connection all day."

Josie bit her lip as the anxiety flared back up again. Not nearly as bad as before Hope showed up, but there none-the-less. She gave Hope a soft smile and then picked up the book from beside her and offered it to Hope.

Hope looked at the book unsurely but took it.

"I'm ready... That is if you are," Josie said hesitantly. "I love you. I've been thinking about this all week, weighing the options, but it was something your mom said last night that made me really decide."

"What did she say?" Hope asked hopeful.

Josie smiled. "She thanked me for loving you, so did your dad, but your mom said I was the reason you summoned them. That you were subconsciously feeling my desires and wanted to help ease the only set back I had."

"I didn't realize..."

"I didn't either until your mom explained it," Josie said. "You're only able to summon them because it was a selfless act. You were doing it because I wanted their approval, like you have my parents. I was afraid that maybe they wouldn't have liked me or disapproved of me and what was happening between us. I was also afraid that you might be holding back a little because you didn't have their approval. It's dumb, I know."

"No, Josie," Hope said and set the book on the bed beside her and grabbed Josie's hand. "It's not dumb. Your feelings are never dumb. I love you, and I'm touched that you think of them. That you care what they would have thought. I do. I wonder if they would have liked you, if they would be mad about the bond, but our dream showed me I was right. I knew they would love you, because what's not to love. You are so kind and compassionate. Every second I am with you is such a gift. Sometimes I wonder how in the hell I got so lucky?"

"I'm the lucky one," Josie smiled slyly, and then pulled Hope in for a kiss. When she released Hope, she picked up the book. "I'm ready to complete the bond whenever you are. I know in my heart that you're it for me. I think a part of me always knew it was you. It just took the bond for me to admit it, and it doesn't matter if we do it now or in five years. This feeling I have in my heart, in my soul is only going to grow. I love you."

Hope smiled widely. "I love you too, Josie, and I think I'm ready. I've been ready for weeks. Ever since the night we made love for the first time. You were so kind and sweet to me. You didn't get angry at me for feeling so trapped by the merge cure. You understood and made sure I knew that what I felt was okay. I think that's when I knew I was ready to complete the bond. I've just been waiting for you to be ready too."