Chapter 7

Opening the eyes is more difficult than she remembers it. Everything hurts, she feels dizzy and has the feeling to get sick at any moment. She is cold. A shiver runs up her arms and after several tries, she manages to open her eyes. The room is small. No windows, no furniture, just the bed she's lying on. She tries to sit up but her whole body feels numb. Panic rises in her and she looks around more hastily. My body hurts, I can feel it. So why won't it move? She's scared and if she wouldn't know that something happened to her, then she would scream. Instead, she whispers, just to calm her nerves. "It's okay. Everything's fine. Tony knows. He's coming to get you. You're alright." Light lights up the room and hurts her eyes. She presses them close and as she opens them again there's a face just above hers. "You're awake. Wonderful. Then we can start." The guy claps his hands together and two more men come in with a wheelchair. One of them picks her up and sets her down. She tries frantically to get away from him but still her body refuses to move. "You know, we cupped some nerves in your body. You can try as much as you want. You won't be able to move." The first man turns around and smiles down to her before he cups her chin in his hands. "Don't worry. We didn't really cut them. It's just a drug. Not very comfortable. But, hey. It's not me." An ugly grin spreads on his face before the man turns around again and starts to leave. The two others follow him, one of them pushing the wheelchair. "W-why are you doing this?" She knows her voice is shaking and that everybody can see how scared she is, but she doesn't really care. She wants to go home. To Steve and Bucky. To the Avengers. Anywhere is okay now but not here. "What? We didn't even get started." She hears the smile in the husky voice of the first man. "You know. These people, these Avengers", he spits the name out with disgust. "I hate them. And there are more people who do. People more powerful than me. I'm just a stooge, but I get to do the fun stuff, so it's fine. And of course, we can't get to one of them. It's good that the news discovered someone our dear Captain and his friend got quite attached to. You're living with them, so I assume the others got to like you as well. What a better chance is there to get them pining and mourn, than to take something they love and turn it into something they hate?"

"Wha- what do you mean?" The man laughs as they run a corner. "You're amusing. You really want to know what we're going to do to you?" He doesn't turn around or waits for an answer before he continues. "What do your so-called heroes hate? Villains who want to destroy the city or planet. People who use the power they have to control others or use it for their own liking. So, we're going to do just that. We're giving you powers. We have to turn your mind for a bit but I think we're well-trained for that. We got the Winter Soldier for almost seventy years after all." A shiver runs down her spine. She doesn't need to hear more about what they want to do to her. She knows enough about Bucky's past to fear what's coming. The brunette never told her himself but Steve did and the others filled some gaps. She finds herself drifting into her own personal mind space as the man carries on his monologue. Suddenly there's a slap and her cheek burns. "You know it's not nice to ask questions and not to listen to the answer." Fearful she looks up at him. The man glares at her but soon turns around and walks through a door. The room is filled with light. Some people run around and hushed voices are heard. "Welcome to your new home." He gestures through the room but Y/N's eyes fix on something in the middle of it. It looks like a stretcher from a hospital, made out of metal but there are more tubes, cables and other things Y/N doesn't know. The stretcher is cut length in two halves. Some tubes run through the cut, the open side looking to the ceiling with thick but short needles looking up. Y/N is sure that if she lies down, they will bore into her spine. "I see you inspect your new bed for the next few days. I can reassure you, it will really hurt." Her eyes twitch for a second to him before they get back to the stretcher. Strong arms pick her up and suddenly it hits her. She's going to get tortured. "No. No! Please, please don't. PLEASE!"

* * *

Tony paces around the common room. He worries and tries to think of some solution, something to find Y/N as soon as possible. The doors fly open and several steps stomp in. "Tony! Anything new?" Steve comes up. He's dirty from the fight earlier and has some cuts in his face. He uses his Cap-voice and the look in his face shows that he's ready to throw some punches at whoever has her. Tony just shakes his head and looks at everyone for a brief moment. Natasha, Clint, Sam. Bucky and Steve. "Since her call there's nothing new. She lost it in the park. I can't pinpoint where she is. FRIDAY lost track of the truck as it left New York."