Chapter 11

Whatever it was that woke her, she is grateful for it. Sweat lets her clothes cling to her skin and her breathing is ragged. She feels dizzy and frightened, but she can't recall what it was she dreamed about. She stands up on shaking legs and slips out of her room. She takes a peek into the kids' room and feels her heart speed up once again as she sees the beds empty. It's a week since Steve dropped small and it became a habit for her to look into the room when she wakes up at night. Running up and looking in both of the rooms for the men she feels more panic add to her already frightened mind. In a blur she's gasping for air, her lungs burning and pushes the door open to the common room. Her eyes quickly dart through the room. Somewhere in her mind she's confused why everyone is in the common room in the middle of the night. Then again, it's not that unusual for all of them to have a sit-in at three in the morning. "Doll?" Her eyes dart back to a spot on the couch and find Bucky's gray eyes. He stands up slowly and walks over to her. "Y/N? You're okay? You look shaken." It takes her some seconds to process that she's not seeing a kid but an actual grown man. Then a picture flashes through her mind. Bucky with blood all over himself a knife in his hand and her. Under him. His eyes are cold. She never has seen them like this.

A touch startles her, and she reaches out to get the hand off of her shoulder. A chocked scream rings in her ears. She feels the eyes of the others on her, but she doesn't care. He should stop! It hurts!

"Y/N!" Steve springs up, his self again, too and Tony jumps up to follow him. Bucky is on his knees still choking on screams and tears on his cheek. He tries to get Y/N's hand from his flesh arms but her grip is tight. He feels like he boils from the inside out. "Y/N, let go!"

"What's happening?"

"Tony? What is she doing?"

"What's up with Barnes?" Y/N hears all this, but she feels herself slip. Her mind is far away, still captured in the picture in front of her eyes. Bucky. Hurting her. Suddenly hands are on hers. The hand holding the arms gets ripped away and with a gasp the other hand lets go of her again. She looks down slowly, seeing everything like in a fog. Bucky is lying on the floor. He's really pale. Nat holds him against her chest and helps him breath. Why is he on the floor? Wasn't he on the couch? Slowly her eyes look around. Steve hold his hand and shakes it a bit but the others. The others stare at her in confusion. Everyone. Except Tony. "Y/N." He comes up to her and carefully places a hand on her shoulder, prepared to extract it in a matter of a second. Everything clears a bit more, and she looks back down at Bucky. Her eyes widen and she looks at Steve. The blonde kneels down next to Bucky to check him over before his eyes meet hers. He looks confused, kind of hurt, too. "Oh, god. I did it." She gasps and slaps a hand over her mouth. She takes a few steps back from all the people, letting Tony's hand slip from her shoulder. "Y/N?" Steve calls her name, but she shakes her head and takes another step back just to hit another person. She looks around and sees Bruce behind her. He smiles kindly at her before he directs his gaze to Steve. "That's it Y/N. I tell them, okay?" Tears spring in Y/N's eyes, and she shakes her head but Bruce smiles sadly at her. "It has to be done now. I'm sorry."

"Bruce. What the hell is going on?" Clint looks at him and many emotions play on his face. She can't really tell which one she can see, but she knows that they all don't mean anything good. She takes a few steps back again after, Bruce walks over to Bucky and checks him over. "It's Y/N's power." Tony answers for the scientist. "Y/N's power?" Steve looks to her and then to Tony, confusion written all over his face. "Yeah, well, HYDRA wasn't as unsuccessful as we at first thought. It just took some time to... appear."

"Explain." Sam leans back against the bar and crosses his arms. His attention is fully directed at Tony. "Y/N came to me saying she manipulated the water in her tub. We made some test and it tuned out that she can actually heat or freeze any liquid she wants to." Bruce says as he pat Bucky on the shoulder and watches as Steve and Nat lift him up on shaky legs. "That means blood as well, how it seems now." Everybody raises an eyebrow and their eyes dart to her. "Why didn't you tell us?" Nat asks and takes a step forward but stops as Bucky sways without her support. "I-I... I thought..."