Chapter One- Aunt Lina

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 at 8:38 AM. 

The car ride was a short one. We live in the countryside, so there are lots of trees and open-fields.  They have fields with corn and tomatoes with hard-working farmers, while the unforgiving summer sun is beaming down on Earth. 

I got out the car, and headed into the funeral home. Father was behind me, and kept his hand on my right shoulder. After mother's death, he became more protective of me. My older brother, Jackson, was sitting with our Mother's parents. Father motioned for me to sit, i did, and I looked around the room. There was at least 50 people in line to view Mother's casket so they could wish her well, and give her their prayers. 

Mother was a very well known person in Dimsburg. She was a very kind-hearted person and loved spending time with her loved ones. Everyone in town knew her, one way or another, which is probably why so many people showed up today. 

Mother's death was unexpected, and the doctors didn't know what killed her. She was sick for several days, and she died during the night. Father says we will all miss her, but she isn't in pain anymore, and for that, we should be grateful. 

Around 30 minutes later, the line became shorter. In line, was a strange man. He was tall, and slim. He wore black dress pants, a red long-sleeved dress shirt, and a black tie. His dreads were in a bun. It wasn't his looks though that made him strange. It was who he was. Everyone seemed to avoid him, and those who were brave enough to come up to him, or even be by him, didn't speak or question him. I don't remember ever seeing mother talk to anyone who looked like him, much less i don't remember seeing him in town. 

I pointed him out to father. He raised his left eyebrow, and told me to stop pointing. He said it might be someone else's family that they had brought with them. He went back to reading the daily paper. 

Shortly later, the wake started. The priest gave his prayers, and introduced father. Father gave an eulogy and then quickly sat back down, using his handkerchief to wipe his eyes.

 I turned around, and scanned the room. The room was quite full. In the back, people had to stand, because there wasn't enough seats. I saw a lot of the community and family members. There were a few people that i didn't recognize, and then i saw the same strange man as before. He was staring back at me. Father tapped on my shoulder, and motioned for me to turn around and pay attention. 

They took Mother's casket, and put her into a fancy limo. We drove to the burial site, a memorial grounds for the rich. They said more prayers, and we watched them lower her casket into the ground. 

After the ceremonies, we went home, where all of the flowers and notes were waiting for us by the front door. 

Father repainted the front door the other day, to match the window pane, and garage doors. A white house, 2 story, with dark blue window panes, front door, and garage. We had a fountain in the front, and a beautiful flower garden surrounding it. In the back was a pool, woods, a shed, and a greenhouse. The woods had a small well, right beside the creek. 

Dad parked the car in the garage, and went to the shed. Jackson and I went inside.

 I went to my room, a medium sized room on the second floor, it had a bathroom, and a walk-in closet. The walls were painted a crepe color. It had a bed in the middle of the room, a nightstand on both sides of the bed. Across from it, was a vanity with lights. A full-length mirror was by the closet door, with roses on the edges, on the left side of the room, the door was closed. On the bathroom door hung a black robe. The right side of the bed had a bay window, to the right of that stood a dresser, to the left stood a tall bookshelf with a bean bag chair in front of it. A white rug was in the middle of the room.