3 - Derek

Araya is on my list of least favorite people. First, she locks up up, tortures Scott, tells us that Kate Argent, whoever that is, is still alive, and, now, she set us free to go to this place called The Church because she believes Derek is there. She believes. It's not a definite yes or anything. I'm really worried about Derek. Kate Argent must be a hunter and was related to Allison. I don't like the idea of Derek being with her. 

        Malia's elbow jab into my rib cage to propel herself between the two boy's in the front seats. "Okay, I'll ask. Who's Kate Argent?"

        I rub my side, glaring at the back of her head. This backseat is tight and uncomfortable enough without her elbows digging into me. Us four girls have to squish together, like sardines, in the backseat of the jeep. I'm sandwiched between Kira and Malia. Lydia is on the other side of Malia. Pretty sure my leg has fallen asleep. 

        Kira raises her hand in the air. "Uh, I'd like to know, too."

        I must say I am pretty curious to know why Kate Argent seems like such a big deal. Kate Argent's name has never been brought up before, so why is everyone freaking out over her still being alive?

        "Well,  we were at her funeral." Stiles glances back at us. "So, I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground."

        "She was never in it." Scott stares off.

        I frown. "So, what's the deal with her?"

        Lydia turns her head away from the window. "She was Allison's aunt and a total sociopath."

        So, I was right about her being related to Allison. 

        "You don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to." Kira sighs. We all know, except maybe Malia, of how Allison is a really touchy subject for Scott. She died in his arms. 

        I pick at the slightly chipped nail polish on my thumbnail. Her death is kind of a touchy subject with me, too. She did die to save me. I should have tried to save her before the Oni stabbed the sword through her.  

        Malia gives Kira a pointed look. "Um, yes, he does."

        "Yeah, she's right. You guys should know. You need to know." Scott sighs, not looking too thrilled about having to talk about this.

        Silence fills the car until Stiles decides to be the one to tell the story. "Alright, Kate was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek's family."

        I lean forward with Malia. "Wait, I think Derek told me a little about this. Some of them survived, right? Like how Cora and Peter survived it."

        "A very angry Peter." Lydia corrects me.

        "Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me." Scott says.

        "And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her."

        "And we saw her buried."

        The last part makes Scott shake his head while looking at Stiles. "No. We saw a casket, remember? She wasn't in it. The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an Alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healing. More and more, as she got closer to a full moon. She was coming back. So they switched out the bodies. If a hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before they change. The Calaveras, they treat the code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it."

        "Kate didn't kill herself." I realize, leaning backwards. 

         "Good for her. I wouldn't do it either." Malia rests her arms between the two seats.