13 - Jealous

"Are you sure it's okay?" I move through the sheriff's office right behind Malia and Lydia. "It's your very first game and I feel like I should be a good friend to support you?"

        The sound of boys prepping for their first game sounds in the background of the phone call. Kira's voice talks over them easily. "I'm pretty sure decoding the dead pool is way more important than my first game. Help Lydia with this and I'll help Scott." 

        I step inside of Sheriff Stilinski's office. "Okay. Be careful out there tonight."

        "Same goes to you." 

        Sheriff Stilinski looks at the three of us, one hand on the office door. "I'm aware this is probably about the dead pool, but I can't let her leave the station. And, in a minute, I'm gonna have to call Eichen House and let them know that she's here."

        "Give us an hour." Lydia says.

        "You got fifteen minutes." Sheriff Stilinski deadpans.

        I advert my eyes away from him to the girl sitting on the couch. Her brown hair is, like, an afro on her head. Meredith is another banshee, just like Lydia. Her eyes are wide as her head stares down at the floor, hands clasped together. 

        Sheriff Stilinski and Deputy Parrish shut the door behind them. I'm curious to know why Parrish is in here with us, but I don't ask any questions. 

        "Ask what you need to ask." Sheriff Stilinski waves his hand. 

        Lydia hands Meredith her cell phone. The two of them share a look before the phone is passed over to Meredith. "Meredith, aren't you going to answer it?"

        Meredith slowly stands up and leans in to whisper in Lydia's ear. "It's not ringing."

        Plan one is a fail. Lydia, hopefully, has something else in mind to get her to talk. Meredith is the only thing we have to help us decode this dead pool. 

        Lydia crouches down in front of Meredith, once she is sitting back down on the couch. "Meredith, you came here to help us, remember?"

        A smile slips on Meredith's face. "You called me."

        "What do you mean I called you?" Lydia asks. 

        Meredith nods her head towards her. "I heard you."

        Is that some weird banshee thing? You can call for other banshees without them knowing? 

        Parrish steps past the rest of us to inch closer to the two of them. "Meredith, can I ask you a question?" She sits up a little taller with a smile on her face. She nods her head. Parrish crouches down in front of her next to Lydia. "When you need help, when you need to find something, is there someone you reach out to? Maybe someone you call?"

        Meredith halfs shrugs. "It depends. Different people for different things."

       I stand beside Malia, observing all of this. Parrish is really good at talking to her. Although, I think part of the reason may be because Meredith thinks he's attractive. You could be blind and still know that he is good looking. I must say, though, he's got nothing on Derek. My face heats up at the thought of the other night. No. Stop, Arden. Now is not the time for this.

        "So, maybe there's a number that can help us? Someone we can call?" Parrish keeps on talking to her, calmly.

        "Yes."