7 - Practice

"You took him down twice just to find out which version of him said that stuff to you?" Kira walks alongside of me to the bleachers outside to the lacrosse field. 

        I nod. "Yeah." 

        Kira shakes her head. "Now, Derek's going to know that you have feelings for him." 

        "What?" I laugh at her absurd thought. "I don't have feelings for him."

        Kira sits down on the first row of bleachers. Her head turns my way, a confused expression on it. "You don't?"

        "No."

        "Then why did you want to know his answer so badly?" Kira rests her hands on top of the lacrosse stick she has for some unknown reason. 

        I shrug my shoulders. "I was just curious. I wanted to know if that was sixteen year old Derek or this Derek speaking." 

        Kira's eyes float to the the empty lacrosse field. None of the guys are out on the field yet, probably still in the locker room getting ready. "If he had told you that he was the one that said it and not just his sixteen year old self, would that change your feelings?"

        I hesitant. I don't mean to, but Kira's question has caught me off guard. I don't have feelings for Derek, so why would his answer affect me? Sure, younger Derek had gotten to me a little, but he was so much more different than regular Derek. "No, I like Stiles."

        "Stiles has Malia." Kira reminds me, with a sad smile. "You could go for Derek. I know everyone doesn't really like him, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't." 

        I raise an eyebrow at my best friend. A laugh slips between my lips. "I'm not going after Derek. I mean, yeah, he is pretty damn good looking, but that's it. There's no way I could date Derek." 

        "So, you're going to try to go after Stiles?" Kira frowns, trying to understand where I am coming from. 

        "No." I feel the corners of my lips tug down in a frown. "He is happy with Malia and I'm not going to ruin that."

        A few of the guys trying out today walk across the field with lacrosse sticks in their hands. I watch the group of them joke around with smiles on their faces. Scott and Stiles are nowhere in sight yet. They must still be in the locker room. 

        "I was hoping you would find someone and we could double date." Kira rests her chin on the top of the lacrosse stick. "Not that Scott and I are even dating- Actually, I don't even know what we are. You know, he kissed me earlier."        

        "Oh?" I nudge my best friend in the side. 

        Kira vigorously shakes her head. "No, not that kind of kiss. It was- like you are forced to kiss a grandparent."

        I wrinkle my nose in distaste. "Oh." I drag the word out. "Your relationship with Scott confuses the heck out of me. Why don't you guys just date?"

        "I want to, but- I don't know." Kira sighs. 

        Malia suddenly appears and sits down on the other side of me. Her arms are filled with a math book, loose paper stuffed between the pages. A highlighter is held between her lips. She half nods at the two of us. Kira stares at me until I make eye contact with her. No matter how much I may like Stiles, I'm not getting in the way of things. I refuse to be that girl. 

        Back out on the field, the rest of the guys have filed out of the locker room and are now running a lap around the field. Dad stands on the edge of the track, waiting for the mass of boys to finish. From the bleachers, I can see a younger boy with blonde hair at the front of the group. Scott is in the middle, keeping a steady pace, whereas Stiles is in the very back. His face is beet red, already exhausted with just the beginning of practice.