Prologue

"It's going to be alright, Scarredbelly." Meowed the dark gray tabby she-cat as she looked sympathetically at the pacing tom. "Queens have been kitting for generations and accidents are very rare."

"Easy for you to say," the tom meowed, eyes troubled as he looked at his friend. "Your kitting went without issue." His tone wasn't angry, just worried and anxious as he stole a glance at the nursery.

"Just think about how cute your kits will be when they arrive, Scarredbelly." Suggested a large light tortoiseshell cat, whose eyes glittered with amusement. "Little versions of you and Applefrost will be adorable."

The dark gray tabby she-cat shot the tom an amused look. "When will you have kits again, Beetlestar?" She asked, licking a paw and drawing it over her ear. "Sweetpool can't be the only kit you want to pass on your bloodline."

Beetlestar's eyes grew sharp. "I'll be fine with the kit I have right now, Darkfang." He meowed, tail tip twitching. "Besides, I don't think any she-cats would want to have kits with their leader."

Darkfang gave him a doubtful look. "That's not what I've seen," she meowed but a shriek prevented her from explaining further. Her head swiveled around and she looked at Scarredbelly, who was trembling. "Breathe, Scarredbelly." She meowed, her voice shaking.

"I-I can't take it!" The warrior cried and rushed into the bramble den, bursting inside and startling the three she-cats inside. One of them, a bright red-orange tabby, was gazing at her plumped belly.

"Scarredbelly," she breathed, flicking her green eyes up to her mate, eyes loving and tired. "Look at how beautiful they are."

Scarredbelly followed her gaze and his breath hitched in his throat. Oh, my StarClan. They're perfect. Paws thundered behind him and fur brushed on either side of the warrior.

Darkfang gasped, her eyes filling with emotion as they rested on the two kits squeaking and squirming at the mother's belly. "Applefrost, they're amazing." She whispered, looking to the queen with glowing eyes.

Applefrost looked at her Clanmate, panting and exhausted. "Thanks, Darkfang." She purred, breathless as she looked to her mate. "Come over here, Scarredbelly, they don't bite."

"Yet," added the other she-cat, a smaller white cat with orange eyes. "You have two adorable daughters, Scarredbelly."

"Thank you, Echopaw." Purred the warrior as he dipped his head to the medicine cat apprentice. "And thank you, Dustynose." He added as the medicine cat looked at him in amusement.

"It's what I trained for," responded the medicine cat as she nudged her apprentice with a forepaw. "Echopaw will check on you in the morning, Applefrost. I'll bring you some soaked moss and something to eat in a moment."

Applefrost, too tired to respond, only nodded and waited for the two medicine cats to exit the den. She looked at Scarredbelly, letting out a breathless purr. "Are your paws frozen to the ground?" She meowed. "Come over here and help me name our kits."

On numb legs, Scarredbelly complied and he padded around his mate and new kits. As he curled around his mate and new kits, he looked up at his leader and the deputy. Darkfang's eyes were all for the kits, full of admiration and emotion. Beetlestar's eyes were also on the kits, but on one in particular. Following his leader's gaze, Scarredbelly's eyes landed on his biggest kit, a silver and white tabby.

"That kit," breathed the leader as he stared in horror at the kit. "It looks so much like Rushspring." Beetlestar looked startled as he gazed at the tabby kitten.

Scarredbelly's heart sank as he gazed down at his daughter. All of Rushspring's patches of gray fur are in the same place as the kit's. He thought with dread. She gets the tabby from myself and Hawkpelt, but she's the only kit with silver and gray.