Chapter Eight

Viperpaw stared at her sister's unmoving body in shock and disgust, unable to form words as Applefrost sobbed, flopping down on the motionless form of her daughter. Poppypaw's dead. A wave of nausea washed over her, making her stagger and fall against Scarredbelly, who was deathly still, trembling slightly.

"P-Poppypaw..." He whispered, tears making his fur wet and dark as he stared in horror and grief at his mate and dead daughter. "Y-you killed her." His voice shook as he looked at Applefrost as though seeing her for the first time.

Viperpaw looked at her mother, a mixture of emotion filling her from ears to tail tip. Distress, relief, anger, betrayal, grief, disgust, and shock swirled behind her eyes and deep within her belly.

Pawsteps sounded behind Scarredbelly and Viperpaw looked over her shoulder to see Darkfang and Dustynose watching the family in horror. The deputy's eyes slid to Viperpaw's shoulder and ear before slipping to Poppypaw and Applefrost, her green gaze widening.

"Great StarClan," whispered Dustynose as she raised a paw in shock. "What's happened?"

Scarredbelly dropped to his knees, a sob erupting from his throat as he shook. Viperpaw was shocked that her father, who she saw as a great warrior that felt nothing but pride, began to cry for his dead kit. "Poppypaw, no!" He wailed.

Applefrost turned around to face her mate and daughter, her eyes glassy and sad. "S-Scarredbelly, I-" she whispered but Scarredbelly hissed.

"You killed her!" He growled, rising to his paws with his tail lashing behind him. Viperpaw scrambled back, being shielded by Darkfang and Dustynose as her father snarled at his mate. "You kill your own daughter! How could you?" Scarredbelly trembled with rage and grief and Viperpaw wondered if he would strike Applefrost.

Applefrost's eyes lit up with alarm and fear as she opened her mouth. "I-I had to!" She protested, though her effort was weak, her voice strained. "Sh-She was going to kill Viperpaw!"

"Silence!" Scarredbelly spat, his voice hostile as he glared with cold orange eyes as his mate. "You cannot possibly expect my forgiveness for killing my daughter, Applefrost." His voice was icy, as though a blanket of ice had frozen on top of his once warm, welcoming voice.

Applefrost flinched and looked at her paws, which were stained by the blood of her daughter. "I-I understand," she whispered and quickly hurried out of the den, Viperpaw staring after her.

Scarredbelly rushed to Poppypaw's side, Viperpaw following with a little hesitation. He rolled his dead daughter onto her back, his eyes watering as he pressed his forehead against Poppypaw's. "You died just as Poppyfur did, little one." He whispered. "With honor."

Darkfang cleared her throat and Viperpaw turned around. "I'll report this to Beetlestar right away," she meowed, though her eyes betrayed how much she was shaking inside as she padded away.

Dustynose fixed Viperpaw with a soft look. "Come on, my dear," she meowed gently, reaching out with a paw toward the traumatized apprentice. "Let's get you patched up."

***

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting." Beetlestar's solemn voice made Viperpaw look up from her untouched mouse, her throat dry. She didn't have an appetite like the rest of her oblivious Clan. They ate their prey without knowing the death of Poppypaw.

Dustynose, who was staying close with the apprentice, lifted her head and sighed. "Come on, Viperpaw." Her voice was shaking, though she hid her emotions well. "Let's see what Beetlestar has to say."