16/02/2020 - Ode to Sleep, Another Thing I Turned in for a Grade

Ode to Sleep
A Story Written at 3 A.M.

—-

TECH

The Tired Brain Inspires: An Interview with Dr. Selene Doverman

Science buffs and college students everywhere are buzzing for the new Endymion. A device that claims to "cure" insomnia. We're here to take a crack at the mind behind the magic.

by: Carry White

Posted on June 5, 2026, at 3:15 a.m. ET

This week is all about interviews, baby! We got all the scoops at this year's World Science Expo in Seattle, Illinois!

Long time readers of us here at The Beaker will be familiar with Dr. Selene Doverman, and for those of you who have been living under a rock, here's what's up.

A modern genius in her prime, at only twenty she took the field of sleep and research into wellness by storm, creating solution after solution for the modern american. I'm sure many of you use her inventions on a daily basis without even realizing it! Ever heard of her little creation Waykey?

You aren't alone, 73% of middle-class Americans use it as their primary source for a boost to get out on that daily grind!

Now we're here to get an exclusive and personalized look at her newest and most ambitious project yet: the Endymion.

So how is the Science Expo going so far for you? I hear this is your first time here!

It is stressful to say the least! I wasn't expecting such a large crowd and we weren't prepared with any bells and whistles to entertain the audience, just us and the Endymion! The stress does take a toll, but that of course comes with the job. I think the best part of this whole ordeal is that I'm  meeting so many new faces and wonderful souls interested in the field! I always love seeing new minds at work, reminds me of when I first started!

There's some nasty rumors going on, care to address them? There was that case in Denver with the boy who overdosed on Waykey—

I'd prefer if we only spoke about the device if you don't mind. I have no comment regarding the effects of Waykey and the accusations of heart failure at this time. Waykey is a caffeine based product and should be treated like any other, including the risks.

What about the accusations of your record regarding preventable mistakes?

Again, I would prefer if we kept this interview strictly related towards the device. I have no comment regarding the cases, no device or invention is perfect, and it shouldn't be expected to be. Even life saving medications have side effects.

Alright, then tell us more about this new device of yours! What exactly is the Endymion?

The Endymion device is a prototype sleep aid that is targeted towards those who suffer with restlessness or mild to severe insomnia, or any weary soul seeking a good night's rest. I'd describe the Endymion as a mixture between a motorcycle helmet, noise cancelling headphones, and a humidifier.

It's a simple device that you put on like a pair of headphones and then adjust so that the visor and facial cushions are lined up with the visor across your eyes.

Fascinating! How does it work?

The device only needs to be charged for a bit, then you can securely fasten the device to your head once you are in bed. Once you put on the device, the headset obstructs your vision into complete darkness, and with a simple press of the button on the side it will begin the presets that have been set on the free app that comes with the Endymion!