Chapter One

5 Months Before

5 Months Before

Amongst the things that agitated Mazzy the most; traffic jams being at the very top, she found herself particularly perturbed at her current situation-in a burdensome conversation with a series of questions that appeared to have no end.

Oh, how she wished to be back in the comfort of her oasis, muddling about, watching the days mush by.

Instead, she was watching Ms.Galesburg pour the hours of the day into yet another cup of coffee that she really couldn't manage, even if she were to go back in time and reverse the five previous cup that she had had.

"E'ryone's been worried about you, love, you just haven't been out the house much, and for yer personality type, that ain't healthy."

Neither is six cups of coffee.

Mazzy sighed, forcing another nod as she took a drawn-out sip of coffee, wishing oh-so-desperately that she would just die from a caffeine intake on the spot.

"If yer needin' help cleanin' out the place, my nephew's got some time on his hands, he could certainly help." Ms. Galesburg offered, settling back down into her white wicker chair.

Mazzy shook her head, forcing a smile "I'm fine, Ms. Galesburg, really. My parents and sister are coming in to help me get the rest sorted out."

"She was a hoarder, yer grandmother. Bless her 'eart. Every day she'd come home with some new find from a thrift store or another." Ms. Galesburg smiled softly, staring off across the street for moment. "I know this is a bit insensitive, but are you going to sell the house?"

Mazzy hesitated for her response.

It was in such terrible condition-she couldn't really imagine getting it back up to living standards. But the charm, the charm was something else. Perhaps it was because her grandmother had lived in it for so long, instilling her fiery attitude into the old pine floors and brightly wallpapered rooms.

Or maybe the charm came from the ocean.

Or even a healthy combination of both.

Either way the more she considered it, the more she realized it was making for an unhealthy consideration of Mazzy keeping it.

"Mazzy, you alright?" Ms. Galesburg inquired, her voice breaking her thoughts.

"I'm fine, Ms.Galesburg, just thinkin'." Mazzy quipped, taking a sip of her coffee, her mind far too distracted now to reject it. "Ms. Galesburg, if I were to keep the house, what could I do with it?"

"I don't know, lovie. Yer grandmother originally was a house mother for years. I'm thinkin' that's what she intended before she...well..."

"A house mother?"

"For the academy, yeah. Every year houses all 'round open up to provide a better experience outside the dramatic boarding rooms. Yer grandmother loved it, took in five girls every year. Practically raised them as her own." Ms. Galesburg paused "Probably the best darn house mother that ever been."